CVA Scout/Hunter for young one / Caliber Choice

deerslayer303

Hello All,
I have decided to get a CVA Hunter or Scout for my daughter. It won't be long till she is ready to try to take a deer. She does SO good with her .22 Cricket. And I'm going with the single shot to keep that simplicity going. My question is on caliber choice in terms of RECOIL. I was initially thinking 44mag. But I can't figure if 243 will be lighter in the recoil dept. These are the I guess lightest recoiling cartridges ( I think) that the CVA is offered in. Too bad they don't offer it in say 357 mag. What do you guys think ? Thanks in advance.

I think you're right on with the .44 mag. If you hand load, you can make some lighter loads for her to practice with and work up to hotter loads as she gets used to more recoil...

Tony

But I can't figure if 243 will be lighter in the recoil dept.
They are nearly identical in recoil, depending on the loads of course.

The big advantage to the 243 is it's range capabilities, since the 44 is pretty much a 100 yd gun no matter what load you choose.

She will quickly grow into the ability to handle recoil, and both cartridges recoil less than a 20 Ga shotgun, which most any child can handle

http://www.chuckhawks.com/recoil_table.htm

http://www.chuckhawks.com/shotgun_recoil_table.htm

Thanks Guys for the replies and the links. That helps alot. I knew the the 243 would probably win. But daddy was secretly rootin for the 44mag. as I want a rifle chambered in 44 ;). But hey maybe I can squeeze one of each. :D

I picked up the CVA Hunter in 243 today. I have to say for 179.00 I'm impressed. It is every bit as robust as the H&R Handi Rifle. The trigger breaks very nice with no creep. And fit and finish is pretty good. And I absolutely love the one piece scope mount. And wheeling this thing around in a blind is going to be SO easy. Academy does not sell you the rifle you look at on display, they have the rifles in the box under the display racks. And after the purchase I got home and realized that I actually got the Adult model not the compact. So, I need to get the compact butt stock, but CVA does not sell to the general public directly so I'll have to get Academy to order me one I guess. I think Daddy will go get him one in 44 mag! :D

Just get a .44 mag with a youth stock on it and swap them out. Or is that what you were already saying you were going to do?

I've been pondering those CVA rifles for awhile myself. But I really think I want one of those Scout V2 pistols in .44 mag

I was thinking that too Steve, but the compact is only offered in 7mm-08 and .243. Had I gotten the Compact, CVA has a post card in there for you to send off for the Adult Stock. I'll have to go back to Academy and see what they say. I'll post up some range pics of the little rifle when I get some good glass on it.

Looking at the barrel options for the rifle I'd take a hard look at the .300 AAC Blackout. .300 Blackout will have a better trajectory and probably not have any more recoil than a .44 Mag.

I love my scout 44 mag rifle so much I went out and

Put me an CVA Apex 45/70 in lay away. The CVA break open rifles and muzzleloaders rock on for sure. Some ones gonna love their Scout or Hunter CVA rifle!!!:)

Guys this little thing is AWESOME. For the price point I don't think it can be beat. The only thing I don't like is after you fire it the breach is a little stubborn to open. But I'll take it apart and do a little polishing. The recoil pad on the thing is really nice. And its so dang handy its REALLY hard to not carry it to the woods. I put a nice Nikon Buckmasters 3-9x40 on it (which Natchez has them on closeout for 149.00 bucks right now, since Nikon discontinued the Buckmasters line and upgraded the prostaff). I zerod it using the cheap Monarch / PPU 100 gr. soft points. Which printed a 2.5" group at exactly 100 yards. I will sort out which ammo it likes best. Love the little thing. I will go buy another for Dad. :D

I was shooting my Savage 110C with wood stock, so it isn't ultra-light) and the Browning B-92 I picked up in .44 Mag. The .44 had significantly more felt recoil (but it does have a steel butt plate as opposed to the Savage which I put a recoil pad on).

I have now picked up a recoil pad for the Browning, but won't get a chance to shoot it any time soon to report a new comparison. That being said, I do love that B-92.

Someday I will find a lever .357 Mag.

CVA rifles don't seem to be sold here in Oregon or at least no place I've seen. I like the idea of getting one in 44mag to go with 3 screw Super Blackhawk...

Tony

Back