CVA hunter .243

Deer hunter88

I was looking at the CVA hunter today chambered in .243 and now I'm considering buying one. Is the CVA hunter a good rifle for the money? And how much velocity would I lose with the 20 inch barrel chambered in the .243?

I've never really cared for anything made by CVA.
Velocity loss will be roughly 50 FPS per inch but will vary depending on the load.

I have 4 CVA center fires. 223, 243, 7mm08, and 35 Remington.

No complaints about any of them. See em for under $200 blued. All mine are SS and have ranged from $225-275. Love mine for cramped shooting houses or when using a climber.

I have 4 CVA center fires. 223, 243, 7mm08, and 35 Remington.

No complaints about any of them. See em for under $200 blued. All mine are SS and have ranged from $225-275. Love mine for cramped shooting houses or when using a climber.
I'm considering buying the CVA scout V2 chambered in .35 whelen with the ported barrel instead of the .243 and hopefully the ported barrel will reduce most of the recoil.

I have a CVA rifle in 44 MAG chambering. This is my Florida hog rifle hunting over bait. No problems with fit, finish, function, or accuracy. Good rifle for a fair price. I mounted a Bushnell 1.5-4.5X scope bought off amazon for less than $80.

There is nothing wrong about with my outfit despite the fact that I spent $hundreds less than my buddies for a hog rifle.
Jack

Ported barrels do make the recoil more manageable, but it won't drop it to 243 levels. Probably closer to 308. They are painfully loud without hearing protection. Ear damaging loud.

The 13" LOP an issue for you? The 1 in 10 rifling twist is unusual too. The 5.5 pounds will give it a fair bit of felt recoil too. Neither the recoil nor LOP are insurmountable though. A Pachmayr slip on recoil pad will add about an inch of length, absorb most of the recoil(had one on my '03A4.) and doesn't cost a lot.
MSRP is $248, but Cabela's lists 'em at $199.99. Academy wants $179 without the scope mounts.

My .243 is a seven-pound carbine, 19". I've tagged a couple of dozen bucks with it.

My load is the 85-grain Sierra HPBT. Since it's a blow-up bullet, I only take neck shots or cross-body heart/lung shots; no quartering angle shots. So far, bang/whop/plop.

Zilch recoil.

I'm considering buying the CVA scout V2 chambered in .35 whelen with the ported barrel instead of the .243 and hopefully the ported barrel will reduce most of the recoil.

Thats a lot of caliber for a small light weight rifle even with porting. These things are about the size of a 10/22. Very short compact and light.

with three hundred dollar bolt actions available that shoot good, I have a hard time wrapping my thoughts around a two hundred dollar single shot. no offense intended. bob

with three hundred dollar bolt actions available that shoot good, I have a hard time wrapping my thoughts around a two hundred dollar single shot. no offense intended. bob

Guess that depends on what ya want to use it for. I own plenty of bolt guns but not a one of them are as light and compact as one of the CVA. They are much easier to carry or use in a lot of situations.

Just for giggles, compare the CVA and a RAR in 223. I've looked at the CVA's as well, just haven't pulled the trigger on one yet. I do have a RAR in 223 with a pencil barrel, 6.5# rifle before scope.

I don't own a CVA single shot.

I like toting my heavy bolt action to and from my deer stand (a 1/2 mile walk) along with a box of spare cartridges and two loaded clips in my jacket pocket and a 1/2 gal thermos of coffee.

Given some additional thought {such practice kind'a humbles a fellow} so when I do shoot something I deserved it.

Back