CVA Hawken shutting up the snobs!

FrontierGander

I did this about 4-5 days ago with my CVA Hawken .58cal 1:66 twist at 100 yards. I hear so much about how these old guns are "$100" rifles not worth a snot and not accurate in any way. After 2 years of owning the rifle and trying my best on multiple occasions, I finally pulled it off at 100 yards.

I lubed these patches ( Minuteman patch lube) about 3 months ago and they were just nasty nasty for accuracy as they were to slippery. They dried out enough and with a light swabbing job between each shot, Accuracy was welllll....:eek:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-...yer_embedded&v=_S12L8F5uPg&x-yt-ts=1422579428

Nice job. I have a CVA Hawken .54 I built about 35 years ago that shot much better than people would think also. Nothing like black powder, round ball, and a side hammer rifle to learn to make every shot count. ;)

The CVAs are some of the greatest J&S Hawken rifle replicas ever made, and at a good price as well. They can shoot, as you damn well know.

Thats some very good shooshting my friend. I have a CVA Plainsman, its so dang light and handy its hard not to like the little guy.

Good for you! Nice shooting . . it's not about the gun, it's about the guy behind it! :)

Years ago, I used to shoot round ball with a very informal group once a month. The group included a very well known rifle/smoothbore builder and those who had custom built rifles as well - both percussion and flint. It was a lo of fun - no pressure but a lot of "kidding" and "heckling" during the shooting. We'd all bring a trinket, throw it on the blanket and the best shot got first choice and then on down the line.

There was a fellow who always showed up - very nice gentleman but very quiet. He had a H & A under hammer rifle with a switched out barrel on it of .32 caliber. We always kidded him because he carried a small horn and the rest of his stuff - balls, patches, caps, etc. he carried in an old musket cap tin. He didn't have the most expensive rifle by any means - a production rifle that used to sell out of the back of Popular Mechanics for what we consider "coffee money" today . . . BUT . . . he always came in first place a good 90% of the time. . . and a lot of us had to "eat crow" for kidding him as well. As they say . . "beware of the man who shoots one gun".

I learned a long time ago never to mis-judge a persons ability to shoot based on the price of the rifle he carries . . . you'll usually end up with egg on your face if you do. There's nothing wrong with a good CVA . . and you certainly proved that with some great shooting! :)

The CVAs are some of the greatest J&S Hawken rifle replicas ever made

Except they look nothing like one. They do shoot good tho. I had one for a little while and those Bergara barrels are nothing to sneeze at.

this is long before the Bergara name brand. The later model barrels were based off the Douglas barrels when they stopped using them.

OK, I thought they went to Bergara after Douglas. I have a CVA Douglas on my Hawken but it was revamped to a snail breech.

Nice shooting Gander .
I do think they are a 100-150 dollar gun .
Then again LMAO I know what the markup was when they sold for that so…..

But that doesn’t mean they are not good shooters .
One of the nicest shooting rifles I ever owned was a CVA hawkens in 54 .
Bought it brand new in a kit . Came with a 50 and a 54 cal barrel .
Paid 75.00 for it at a local sporting goods shop .

Frankly I think it depends on the shooter and if the take the time to learn the gun .
locally there was a gentleman I used to shoot with a lot , who had an old CVA Kentucky. He was very accurate with that rifle to the point I witnessed him shoot clays in flight , at distance, with PRB .. He seldom was beat at ranges out to 150 yards
But any , myself . Nothing wrong with a CVA . I also feel that there is nothing wrong with rebuilding one or sinking some money into upgrades .

Back