cva bobcat

oldmaster111

I bought one to teach my grandson to shoot and the manual states that the minimum load is 50 grains of powder which I think is too stout for a 10 year old. Anyone with experience with these, if you could recommend a lighter load for this rifle. He is not going to be shooting at targets out to 100 yards. I think 50 yards would be max. Thanks for any advice.:D

Hi:
I have one & for the money they are wonderful little rifles, mine likes the .490/.015 or a .495/.010 PRB with 80gr. FFFG Goex.
I have a 6 year old & when I was shooting a cupple of weeks ago she wanted to shoot Daddys gun, so I loaded 35gr. FFFG Goex & a .490/.015 PRB & she had a blast.

I think you can use as light as 20gr. FFFG in them with no problems as long as you use Patched Round Ball because the Ball is just under 180gr. but you may want to make the range to be 25 yards.

very likely a patent breech, so if you load too lightly the PRB will not compress the powder.
try 30 grs. 3F then dump a .45acp case of cornmeal atop. or grits. then PRB. should have no kick at all.

We routinely teach with one of these Bobcats and our minimum age, is 11. I chose the Bobcat because it's so light and easy for the kids to shoot. Kind of depends on your powder. When we taught with Pyrodex, we were teaching with 40 and 50 grains. We now have gone to 777 and have cut back to 40 grains. I would not have a problem with 30grains of 777 or Pyrodex, for your Grandson. You have to be careful not to go too low. You want a little bit of a bite but not to hurt the kids. We also teach adults in these classes and this load suits them as well. You might want to consider putting one of those slip-on recoild pads on the Bobcat as plastic one, provided, stinks. I compliment you on the time you are spending with your Grandson. I'm am curretly working with my #3 and he can now load and shoot with little supervision, at 12 years of age.

You get my; Atta-Boy and: :)

Be Safe !!!

Thanks Pahoo. This is grandson # 2 for me. So far he is the only one interested but I'm sure I can get my 6 year old granddaughter hooked when she gets a little older.:D

If it has a synthetic stock, take the butt plate off & fill the stock with sand. Yeah, it'll be a little heavier but it will actually balance like it's supposed to & only kick 1/2 as hard :)

He could also make it a project piece with his Grandson & put a nice wood stock on it like I did mine.

Almost_finished_1.JPG

Beautiful job, he would love doing something like that with me. I was a furniture refinisher in my younger days, so this could get interesting.

Back