Cutting down a shotgun.

Auto5

I have an old Canadian Winchester 840 in the back of the safe, but it's still a bit long and heavy more my 10 year old grandson. It has a 28" full choke barrel. I know the subject has come up before, but I'm having trouble with the Search function. I'd like to shorten the barrel and stock for him. What can I expect to pay to have the barrel cut down and threaded for a choke tube? Thanks.

call Briley and have it done right .\
Remember it is illegal to cut a barrel yourself

It is NOT illegal to cut a barrel yourself!!!

In order to cut it shorter then 18" you need to fill out a form and pay a tax. Even then you still can cut it yourself.

If you want to cut it to ANY length longer then 18".... Have at it.

Some guys just make it up as they go....:rolleyes:

As stated, it certainly is not illegal to cut a shotgun (or rifle or handgun) barrel yourself.

I know that I can legally cut the barrel to any legal length. My biggest problem is that cutting 4-6 inches off of the end of the barrel leaves me with a cylinder bore, when I need a modified choke. The real question is whether the project is worth doing, or will it cost just as much as buying a new "youth sized" shotgun.

Sometimes a shortened shotgun barrel needs some additional work.
The muzzle and original breech might be in alignment, but not necessarily the rest of the barrel.
Then there's the risk of getting a cockeyed choke thread.
Like you say, it might be better to get him something that fits.
And you will still have the full sized gun, too.
Just a thought.

So long as you leave it at 18", you can cut down the barrel yourself. I haven't but at least I can face it on a lathe to ensure that the barrel is flush when done. I even have the tools to thread a barrel for a choke.

If it's a 12 gauge, it might be too much for a 10 year old anyway. However, the stock you can do with a mitre saw/box and put on as recoil pad after.
The barrel can easily be done with a pipe cutter, but you'd still need a smithy to install the choke. Get on the phone and call around.
There's a shop in Kansas(Doesn't seem to be a place near you with a site. Should be close to the same money though) that wants $135 including 3 tubes and 2 wrenches. Tubes run about $25US each at Cabela's.
There have been some tests(forget where I saw it. Wasn't recently.), mostly informal, that show a shot pattern out of a cylinder bore will not be horribly large due to the wad holding the shot together just enough to make modified patterns, I think it was.

Don't use a pipe cutter- it constricts the barrel, unless you carefully file the constriction out. If the barrel is tapered, the pipe cutter won't work properly anyway.
Mark the barrel, wrap masking tape around it, with the edge of the tape used to mark your cut, and use a hacksaw to carefully cut the barrel off. Then use a flat file to even and straighten the cut and slightly taper the outside edge of the barrel. You can use a sharp pocketknife to slightly chamfer the inside of the muzzle.

@T. O'Heir: It's a 20 ga., but $135.00 is probably more than the gun is worth.

I wasn't originally planning this as DIY project, but cutting and finishing the barrel and stock are well within my capabilities. My biggest concern was the choke. Do they still sell those old external poly chokes that fit over the end of the barrel? Time to check eBay, LOL.

Gunplummer, a #3 Morse Taper extension driven on will do it, and I have done that. Though if you don't watch, you can stick one.

I still have a choke roll around here, somewhere, that I believe B-Square made. That tool is easily made, though, and I started to design a manual lathe-type fixture to do it, which would have a center at one end, to keep the barrel from backing out, as you turned the barrel in the rolls.

Contact Mike Orlen in MA; he has a very good rep for shotgun barrel work, including threading for choke tubes; give him a call and he can give you a price estimate.

Also be aware that there is more then just the barrel length limit. There is an overall length limit. I THINK it is 26" but I don't remember for sure, so don't take just my word for it.

It is possible to have a illegal (too short aka "Sawed off) shotgun with a legal 18" barrel, if you cut the stock off too short.

Don't be the next Randy Weaver.

ALSO there can be state laws with different legal limits. I know of one state where the minimum legal barrel length is 20" for shotguns (18 is Fed limit) and 18" for rifles (16" is Fed limit), IF the gun didn't come from the factory with a shorter barrel.

In other words, if you got a factory 18" barrel shotgun, that was ok, but if you wanted to shorten a longer barrel gun, you could only legally cut it back to 20" in that state.

youth gun

Throwing in my 2¢ ...how about a Mossberg 500 20 ga youth shot gun, two barrel set.
Comes with a shorter stock, you can a full size (stock) from Mossberg. Saves $$ on smith charge,shipping etc.

Artillery King Of The Battlefield

Auto5,

To modify the stock for him, have him hold his arm down to his side, and bend his elbow up at 90 degrees. Then, have him curl his trigger finger, as if it was on the guns trigger. Measure from that curled finger to the bend of the elbow, on top, and that will be the correct length of pull for his age. Measure from the trigger to the center of the buttplate, and subtract the measurement you made on him, from what is there now, so when you cut it, you get the same length from trigger to buttplate as you did from the top of his elbow to his finger. That is known as the length of pull.

You may have a problem finding a buttplate that will fit that short of a stock, so I'd look at a small pad, that you can drill.

On an inexpensive gun it is a simple DIY project that can be done in 5-10 minutes. It can easily end up costing 2X or more what the gun is worth to have a gunsmith do it.

Measure carefully, I like to cut a little longer than legal in case you mess up you'll leave a little for a 2nd try. Cut as straight as possible with a fine blade hack saw them use a square and file to even up the end of the barrel. The steel is soft and cleans up easily. You can use a little cold blue, but it isn't a big deal to just leave it alone.

It literally takes longer to get the tools out than to do the actual job. I've done several 870 Expresses and used clamp on fiber optic sights.

Back