Cutting down a 26" PSS barrel

thaddeus

I found a used Rem700 PSS for a good price, but it has a longer barrel than I would like.

Is it difficult or expensive, or bad idea to cut down the barrel, so now I have the lighter carbine that I want?

thanks,
thad

Thad,

I would advise that you not cut the Remington's barrel down. Instead, see if you can find an early 24 inch barrel. If your looking for a overall barrell length of 20 inches. you need to look at a different rifle or better yet a custom barrel!

The reason you don't want to cut the Remignton PSS barrel down is that you'll most likely ruin the amazing accuracy of theses rifle. Remington has put a slight choke on the bore at the end of the barrel. The theory was that as the bullet travles down the barrel, the copper jacket would wear away on the lands/grooves. when it came to the last few inches, the bullet would have some play between it's surface and the surface of the barrel. A slight choke or narrowering of the bore would prevent the bullet from wobbling around. This theory must be true, because I have yet to hear of anyone who's PSS is not a "tack-driving" delight!

Back