Cutting and Recrowning a Barrel

jman841

Does anyone have experience with cutting and crowning a barrel?

I want to shorten the 26" Barrel on my Remington 700 SPS varmint in .308.

What tools do I need to do this? I watched some videos on Youtube and it seems a lot simpler than I originally thought, but looking for any tips or tricks from those who have done it.

You-Tube and Midway

Go to You-Tube and as I recall, Midway also has a video on how to do this. Yes, you will need special tools and they can be pricey. If it were my rifle, I'd get some references and send it out. ...... :)

Be Safe !!!

For sure,

Got there and the guy had to be in his mid to late 70's. He's been a gunsmith for 53 years!

It's always humbling meeting people who have been in a profession for such a long time.

jman,

Yeah, If you have never done it - Go with a local GS and watch if he'll let you.
Have had 2 rifles cut back, re-crowned and re-drilled for the front sight move.
Wasn't expensive but was interesting to watch.

Good Call

I just called a local gun smith. Only charge $35 to cut and recrown. Def a better option.

A number of year ago, I had the need to perform this task. Did my homework and looked for the two major cutting tools. One cost more than $35.00 and since I wasn't in the business, I decided to pass ...... ;)

Be Safe!!!

I agree with jman841. Gunsmith is the better option. Think about it. By the time you buy the necessary tools and pay to include shipping this could be a tool you only use once. Plus there is the experience factor.

Well that was a terrible idea. I can't believe this guy has been in business for 53 years. It looks like a child cut the barrel and the crown is anything but a target crown.

He also cut too much off, it's now 19". I'm not even sure what I should do at this point. I don't want a shorter barrel, I wanted it at 20" with an 11 degree target crown.

I'm incredibly frustrated with how terrible the workmanship is on this. I guess I should of done it myself.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_5973.JPG
    IMG_5973.JPG
    276.4 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:
Nothing wrong with recommending a gunsmith as general advice. If you recommend a specific individual and they botch the job, THEN you should feel bad.

Since the smith you used didn't do the job you contracted for, you do have a legal claim, but, its probably not worth the cost.

He might have been a good smith, once, but anybody who's been in the business for 53 years and cuts off an inch more barrel than requested shouldn't be seeing 54 years in the business. Time for that fellow to retire.

Personally, I'd say that fellow owes you a new barrel. I am, however, not at all certain I would want him to install it...:rolleyes:

I agree, but it is probably not worth the time or effort. I left a bad review on google to hopefully warn others of this guy.

I found another gunsmith who seems to be much more reputable and saw some of his work before giving him the firearm.

He has a proper lathe and knows what an 11 degree target crown is, so hopefully it comes out much better.

Overall, looking at the prices of the tools on Brownells, if I combine the cost of both gun smiths, it is about the same as if I bought the tools and did it myself.

I'll end up with a 19" barrel instead of a 20" barrel. Not what I wanted, but not the end of the world.

Uffda. I cut down a Mosin wuth a hacksaw and polished by hand nd got a better end result. I would definitely be not happy or accept that kind of work. Hopefully you ca get it resolved.

Whenever I suggest a gunsmith I make real sure to precede gunsmith with the word competent and suggest the individual I suggest competent gunsmith to look for some of the gunsmith's work as in references. I have seen some pretty bad hack jobs.

Your muzzle can be fixed and you can do it with any number of crowning tools from outfits like PTG or Brownells. What sucks is you already paid once.

Ron

Back