Cutting a Muzzleloader barrel down?

FirstFreedom

Anyone cut down the barrel on their factory muzzleloader? Of course, the hardest part, by far, is cutting the rod in such a way that it would still work, since most of them have threads on both ends - one for a handle, and one for your attachments. Anyone have experience on the best way to cut a rod to make it match a cut barrel? I suppose the end I would cut would be the handle end, not the attachment end, but what's a good way to use some sort of universal handle with the rod, without re-tapping threads? Perhaps a handle that clamps onto the rod with two small bolts w/ wing nuts that sandwiches the rod between two flat metal strips that are the sides of the "handle"?

This comes up because I want a really short handy high quality ML like the T/C G7 (I think it's called), but the ML I'm going to get is the Savage 10ML BVSS smokeless-capable one. So of course I'm going to combine the best of both worlds to get exactly what I want, and cut/crown the Savage to 20" or maybe 22", but again, the problem is ending up with a functioning rod that doesn't stick out too far.

Thanks.

You can buy rods and ferrels/tips, cut fit and finish as you like. You can also buy rods to your length and caliber. I just wish I could remember where I saw these. I think Dixie. Most of my wooden rods are for show only and use a poly range rod in the field and poly or aluminum rods on my hunters. Don't let this problem stop you from your project as cutting a barrel will pose greater problems that getting the right rod. As posted before, you can cut down the existing rod as well. I had to come up with a rod for my .32 and hand picked a good hardwood dowel rod from local hardware store. Good luck and shoot safe.

I would say the rod would be the easiest part. Getting a square cut and the proper crown on the barrel would be most important.

Simple solution

the factory supplied rod comes apart easy by heating the brass end up with a torch.Its held on by glue.

Remove cut the ramrod and reglue

I sell aluminum rods cut to fit any application.Hollar if you need one.

Back