Cutomizing my Rem 700??

Hog Hunter

Im fixin to go get my remington 700 in 8mm remington mag off layaway in a few weeks and was thinking bout making it a custom rifle. The origianl stock is all kinda beat up. Im thinkin of gettin maybe a thumbhole stock or somethin like that. Ive looked on ebay and a few other palces but was wonderin who makes a good stock for the 700?? Also give me some ideas of what to do or what you guys would do if you were gonna redo a rifle.

Also, whoever had the gun literaly cut the front sight off. looks like crap and was wonderin what would be a good reliable finish on the gun? I really like the finish on the glocks and would like to have that finish but dont know where to get it, any help maybe. Give me some ideas on this please. I want to have a very unique rifle so the more ideas the better. I dont have alot of money in this gun buying it so I have a good bit to play with customizing it:)

Buy a McMillan stock. Don't waste your time or money on anything else. They ain't cheap, but are worth every dime.

Check out the Hogue stocks. They offer models with a full aluminum bed block and pillar bed only.

You can definitely find them on ebay, direct from Hogue, or from many net retailers. They are quite a bit cheaper than the McMillan's and have an excellent reputation.

McMillan's are great but imho very pricey.

Get the steel parkerized any color you want. Hot pink or blaze orange will stick out in a crowd:D Or...... I have seen a camoflage finish that is applied in a tub of water, unfortunately I can't remember who or where to find it:( But it was amazingly detailed, more clear than some of my shirts. Maybe someone else knows where to get it done. Have fun and lots of pictures please:)

You buy a composite stock the action will usually drop in. You buy a wood or laminate stock you might have some fitting. That might help you decide.

The 8mm Rem Mag has a nasty reputation of excessive recoil so I wouldn't go to light on the stock. If you want a thumbhole stock I'd look at a laminate from Boyd's and install a couple of crossbolts as well as pillar and glass bed the action. Search for KG Gunkote or other metal finishes on the web you will find a bunch or people who do it. CS Sport has a great reputation for doing metal finishes and rifle stock painting.

Hog Hunter said:
Customizing my Rem 700??

Why not? Everybody else does. I may have the only factory Remington 700 left in the world.

Just kidding. Sure, have a ball. It's a great platform for customization.

You said "Custom Rifle". Here is why I say McMillan is the only way to go. #1, the McMillan is heads and shoulders better than Hogue, B&C or HS-Precision and Boyds. Those brands are OK stocks at best, but they basically all look just alike. There are a couple of options in color, but every B&C stock for a Remington is just like all the others. Not a custom stock at all. In fact most of them are designed as tactical/sniper stocks, not hunting stocks.

With McMillan it is truly a custom stock built to your specs. If you like the looks of a Winchester, Sako, Weatherby, or any of dozens of other styles, McMillan will inlet that style stock for your Remington. You can pick the LOP, recoil pad, swivel studs, barrel channel to build a truly custom stock. You can have it painted any color in the rainbow, including some pretty wild Mcswirley patterns if that suits you.

Weight. I'm with Talylorce1, you don't want to go too light, but many of those others are waaay too heavy. You don't need a 3 lb stock, which is what some of the others weigh with the aluminum bedding block. A standard fill McMillan will weigh about 32oz. depending on how it is configured. The lightweight Edge stocks weigh around 20oz. The edge is perfect for standard calibers, but I think would be too light for an 8mm mag.

They are more expensive, and there is a 4 month wait for it to be built. The good news. If you decide later to sell the rifle, put the factory stock back on it and you can easily re-sell the McMillan for 100% of what you paid. Any time one shows up for sale they are quickly snapped up at 100% of the original price. Guys will quickly pay that for a used one just to avoid the 4 month wait. Try selling one of the others used, $25-$50 max.

If the price tag on a McMillan seems too high (around $440 for standard fill,$520 for the Edge) there is a way to pay as little as $50 down and pay a little at a time while it is being built. Just pay it off when finished and they will then ship to you. PM me for details.

Hogue, B&C or HS-Precision and Boyds. Those brands are OK stocks at best/QUOTE]

LOL I Really enjoy numb nut replys.
Just because someone has a certain brand the others are junk??? You probably read that on the internet ;-) LOL

Try selling one of the others used, $25-$50 max./QUOTE]

Again WRONG Info try buying a used HS Precision 25-50??? Geezzz

They are more expensive, and there is a 4 month wait for it to be built.
If the price tag on a McMillan seems too high (around $440 for standard fill,$520 for the Edge)/QUOTE]

Why wait 4 months pay 450.00-550.00 when my rifles will shot 5 shot ragged holes with the stocks I already have?
In no way am I running down McMillian stocks,there are some excellent stocks for less money and waiting time and they are much better than just barely OK!!!

How much do you want to spend?

I ain't going to pretend I am a gun smith, or any kind of hot dog. Just an old fart that enjoys guns.

The thing about pimping up a rifle is this-You will not get much additional money if you sell it. So for me, it is the pleasure of doing something for myself, that makes me happy.

If you want to improve how your rifle shoots, would an after market trigger be useful? Is the bore in good condition and is the throat ok? What does the bluing look like? Glass work good?

The stock is personal preferance. I just put a Duramax on my old savage 12 and it feels and handles so much different, it made me like the gun a whole lot more, and I got the Advantage Camo, which is kind of gaudy. It shoots good, so $300 more for a stock would have been a waste---for me.

I am doing a laminate stock for my 270. It has been a time consuming project and is a whole lot more complicated than buying a stock and fitting it to the rifle and torquing the screws. Again, what do YOU want to do?:D

You probably read that on the internet ;-) LOL

Nope, I've been putting custom stocks on rifles longer than you have probably been alive. Since 1982.

I've used them all. I currently have 4 McMillans, 1 High-Tech, 2 Brown Precisions and 1 B&C. I have sold off several B&C stocks that came new on rifles. The Hogue stocks that came new on rifles went in the trash because they were so bad I couldn't look someone in the face and sell it to them.

The B&C, and Hogue are the ones overpriced. For $200 you get a downgrade compared to most factory stocks. The Boyds stocks (which I have also owned in the past) are good stocks, just a lot heavier than I'd recommend. If you want a cheap stock to replace a worn out factory stock they are serviceable, but the OP wants to build a "CUSTOM rifle". Why not spend a bit more and get a true CUSTOM stock.

With McMillan, Manners, Brown Precision, and High-Tech, you will pay more, but you get a stock that is hand built to your specs, built using quality materials that will be an improvement over what came from the factory. All of these are good, but McMillan offers the most options by far and is priced about the same. They also hold their value. Didn't read that on the net either. Two of the 4 I own were purchased used.

I just ordered a B&C Duramaxx for my 110, be here wednesday! Its gotta be better than the tupperware that came with it. Anyway I couldn't spend upteen million on a custom synthetic (because I'm married and I like it) so the B&C got the nod, I'll reply later on it.;)

If you want to improve how your rifle shoots, would an after market trigger be useful? Is the bore in good condition and is the throat ok?/QUOTE]

Hog Hunter IMHO The above statement is your best advice so far.
As far a the front sight isn't the 700 sight mounted by two screws?? You should be able to buy a replacement front sight.Since I use a scope on my 700's I always take the front sight off and install a couple filler screws in place of the front sight and mounting screws.

jmr40
I've been putting custom stocks on rifles longer than you have probably been alive. Since 1982/QUOTE]

LOL I wish I was younger than that I am a early 64' model steelworker for 33 years.Started shooting high powered rifles and Huntin' Whitetail since 1975, Dad started taking me hunting at 5 years old in 1969.
I just disagree in talking down peoples choices in guns and accessories,we have young shooters as well as older shooters on fixed incomes and with the present economy not everyone can or wants to pay 450-550 bucks for a aftermarket stock.IMO When I can take off a factory stock replace it with a fully bedded stock and end up with a free floating barrel,that's a big improvement over most factory stocks.

Here's a HS Precision that went for a bit more than 25-50 dollars IMO more than it should've gone for. I guess if they're good enough for the LE and Military they should be good enough for me?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110678549326&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

If you can afford to buy a computer and pay for internet service you can afford a $400 stock. It is how you CHOOSE to spend your money. It took me 2 years to save up the $175 my first Brown Precision stock cost in 1982. That was more than the rifle cost, and was the best money I ever spent on firearms. Maybe not you, but someone, someday will sell your rifles. The money spent on qulity today, will pay off in the future.

If I'm going to spend my money, I want something in return for the money spent. I've owned every stock mentioned thus far except Manners. While serviceable, the B&C stocks offer no advantages over the factory stocks that come on most rifles.

ANY stock will shoot well if properly bedded and floated. The most accurate rifles I've shot were a Steyr and Remington, both in the cheapest factory tupperware stocks made. I've replaced many stocks in the past because I didn't like the way the factory stock looked, felt, or because of weight. I've never noted an improvement in accuracy. A quality synthetic will be more consistent than wood over a variety of environmental conditions, but no more accurate.

I never said anything about HS-Precision. They are a step up over B&C. I said a used B&C or Hogue stock wouldn't re-sell for much. Of course the HS is good enough for the military. They are designed as a sniper/tactical stock, which I also pointed out earlier. They are not the best choice for a hunting rifle, which this thread is about.

I am glad you like the B&C stock you have. As I said earlier they are a very serviceable stock. I actually have 2 ( I miscounted earlier when I said 1) and they serve their purposes on the rifles they are on. But don't think for even a minute they are in the same league with McMillan, Brown Precision, Manners or High-tech. The materials and construction methods are very different. With all the other expenses involved in putting together a custom rifle, an extra $200 to get a top of the line stock vs a cheap plastic stock is a minor expense. That is only 4-5 boxes of quality ammo.

"...steel parkerized any color you want..." Parkerizing is black or shades of grey only.
"...looked on ebay..." E-Bay is an evil anti-firearm ownership empire.
There's more aftermarket stuff for M700's than any other centre fire bolt action. Aside from your budget, the sky is literally the limit. Not sure if I'd want a thumbhole stock on an 8mm Mag though.
You'd best buy as much brass as you can too. A 700 is only available in 8mm Mag from Remington's custom shop. Could be dropped at any time with no guarantee of ammo being available. Even though other manufacturers currently load it.
"...If you can afford to..." Shoot an 8mm Mag. Pricey stuff. $56.99 and up per 20 from Midway.

1 goodshot, send it to a good smith and have the action trued, and spend even more money on a custom barrel and trigger!!! ( maybe even a more accurate caliber);) That could be the simplest steps.

Back