Customizing Shotguns--Legal Barrel Lengths?

Can anyone here tell me or direct me where I might find legal information about shotgun barrel lengths? What are the minimum required lengths on shotgun barrels? I've notice various sizes on double-barreled shotguns.

if it is non nfa its 18in. i beleave any shorter it becomes a sawedoff nfa 200 dollar tax let me know if im wrong people

------------------
oneshotonekill

More than 18", or it might get your %^&*( locked up. The term "Sawed Off Shotgun" packs lots of semantic weight in court.

Thanks for responding, everyone. My memory had served me correctly on the 18" issue. I find it interesting, though, that anything under 18" is illegal, yet the little .45/.410's aren't? What's the logic behind the .45/.410 as a legal pistol; they're just as deadly as any other short shotgun would be.

Just curious.

The legality is not just the barrel length but also has to do with the oal. and whether the weapon was designed to be fired from the shoulder. The .45/.410 pistol was not designed to be fired from the shoulder thus it is legal as it was designed to be fired as a handgun and not a longarm.

One thing about the .45/410 is to make sure that it is legal in your state, in Kali the Contender and Encores with the .45/410 barrel are considered short barrel shotguns.

Woody

Back