Custom Wells Fargo Cartridge Conversion

Tinker Pearce

This started out as an anonymous Colt 1849 Wells Fargo .31 Percussion reproduction that I got as part-trade for another gun. I'd done a conversion to .22LR on a similar gun, but wanted to go a different route with this one. I decided to make it a test-gun for .251 TCR.
KCv1o18.jpg
1kOfmyh.jpg

The first big job was to convert it to a spur trigger; the original trigger guard was just too small for me to feel comfortable with it. I cut away the old guard and silver-soldered some new brass to the frame, then fabricated a new trigger from 5160 spring-steel. I cut the barrel off at the lug, then bored it out to accept the new barrel (sent to me by Magnumwheelman.) I turned the end of the barrel down to fit, then slathered it with Loctite Red and press-fit it, then trimmed to and cut a new forcing cone.

I turned a new cylinder from half-hard 4140 and bored it out, but I wasn't happy with it. There were some issues with the geometry of the sprocket, and with the locking notches directly over the chambers the metal was awfully thin there. I made a second cylinder as a five-shooter, and this solved the issues nicely. The breech-plate was made from 5150 also, and incorporates an extended section that protrudes into the hammer-slot. This piece holds the rebounding firing-pin and acts as the rear sight as well. The hammer-nose had to be shortened quite a bit to accommodate this.
dmOjEqk.jpg

RucdnVK.jpg

This is really quite a svelte little gun. The barrel is 3-1/4" long, and the gun weighs 21 ounces unloaded; not a lightweight, but not particularly burdensome either. The last photo compares it's size to a 3" K-Frame S&W; this gun is really quite small!
uEi6tZ6.jpg

Launching a 55gr. hard-cast bullet at 1050-1100 fps. it's no slouch in the power department, easily equaling .22 Magnum from this barrel length. I figure in a pocket holster this would make a nice, light critter-gitter for woods stomping without being intrusive or inconvenient. Anyway, it's fun, and that's really all the reason it needs.

Very nicely done, Tinker. Sometimes you want the fire and blast of a big bore and sometimes you want the subtlety of a smaller cartridge like your .251. The gun looks great. Give us a range report when you have time.

Very nicely done, Tinker. Sometimes you want the fire and blast of a big bore and sometimes you want the subtlety of a smaller cartridge like your .251. The gun looks great. Give us a range report when you have time.

Well, the first range report is a bit limited. Gun works great and is accurate... beyond that I can't sat, since it ejected it's firing pin after the first cylinder... I guess it wasn't secured as well as I thought...

No worries, I can crank another out quickly and easily.

That is really, really, really sweet!
Fabulous work!

I wish I had your talents - honestly - that's a piece of work you can be real proud of!

I must have missed the introduction of the .251 TCR. Could someone please enlighten me on what on earth this cartridge is...besides an obvious .25 caliber.

Dave

I must have missed the introduction of the .251 TCR. Could someone please enlighten me on what on earth this cartridge is...besides an obvious .25 caliber.

Dave

.251 TCR is a straight-walled centerfire cartridge designed to be an alternative to rimfires, specifically for revolvers. Power ranges from indoor gallery loads with about 5ft/lbs of energy to hot loads making up to 170ft/lbs. from the 3-1/2" barreled test gun.

It's made from .22 Hornet brass.
w4h6XTs.jpg

Bullet weights tested so far range from 31-65gr. So far I've developed loads using Unique, Power Pistol and Red Dot. Of these PP and Red Dot have yielded the best results. Since loads are being optimized for a 4" barrel muzzle blast is less severe than .22 Magnums of the same power.

Back