Custom stocks: HOW are they different?

VictorLouis

I've been looking at some of the selections via links that another poster(:)) provided in another thread. Forego the Hogue/Pachmayr concept for a bit, I'm asking regarding the other 'traditional' styles. Things like the Skeeter, Jordan or the late Herett's(sp?) style.

Can you describe the differences, subtle though they may be, between them and the target stocks Smith has put on their guns for years? In the photos, they all seem to be closely similar in overall profile with the factory stocks. Do they really provide noticeable improvement in feel, or trigger control?

Victor, it would be difficult to describe the difference on the 'net as to which one is better. I think the trick is finding the one that best fits you. You about have to feel them all and decide which one that you like best.
The oversize Smith grips are really too big for most everyone. I like them but to I view them as a good starting point to make a set of comfortable grips. I use different sizes of rat tail rasp and carefully finger groove them to my hand. Once I get them the way I want I sand them as smooth as a babies bottom and then finish them with the stain and poly that I like for that gun.
That is a custom grip made just for you by you. You also get the sense of pride when someone looks at them and compliments you on what a pretty pair of grips you have.;)

Thanks, o venerable one...

...I have a pair of grips that ended up with two different shades of color and have been thinking of doing my own.

With your encouragement, I will. :)

What do you use to finish/seal yours?

The differences between factory and custom grips, is mostly a matter of concept and quality.

Factory wood grips must be:
Cheap/easy to make.
Fit nearly every user.
Look "right". Customers want a grip to look a certain way. People like the way Python or S&W grips look. Since they didn't like the way the early Dan Wesson grips looked, Wesson grips quickly came to look like Colt and S&W.

Custom grips will be the makers take on what a good grip design should be.
They will have high quality in figured wood, and finish.
They will fit the gun better.
They will be adjusted to fit the actual user, not an "average" hand.
They have the added advantage of customizing the gun and making it uniquely yours.

Truth be told, Hogue, Pachmyer, Uncle Mike's, and the others will fill your needs. The question with custom is, do you want them, can you afford them, and do you have a special need the standard makers can't fill.

It is really a matter of taste. I use either Minwax or Deft polyurathane with a stan built in in the color of my choice for that particular gun. The more coats you apply the darker the color. Just follow in the instructions on the finish until you get the shade you want. Then, again following the instructions, buff them until you're happy. I then apply a few coats of clear poly of the same manufacture to give them better protection and to bring out more gloss. That last part is the pimp in me.;)
If you start with smooth "presentation" grips you will not have the checkering. But most of us have the checkered target grips around or can find them dirt cheap at shows. The smooth grips can be rather expensive. Almost all of mine started as checkered. I like them and receive compliments on them in spite of some of the checkering still showing once I get them to fit the way I like. I don't think it distracts from the look at all. In fact it gives them character.

Bill

Ask Sox, he buys a pair every day. I checked with him and on his reccomendation I decided on a pair pgs smooth finger grooves for my j-frame..although i never met him i plunked down 18.25 at Brownell's and they are on their way...if I don't like them, I will use my contacts at the FBI, get Sox's adress and have him reimburse me....

Back