Custom powder horn...maker name?

Creature

Not sure if I should have listed this in the gear and accessories section...

I have a powder horn that was given to me by the daughter of an older gentleman who I looked in on from time to time. He is no longer able to live on his own and recently had to move to a nursing home. He was a flintlock shooter/re-enactor. His daughter gave all the rifles to the nephew (who couldnt care less about them I am sure). Out of appreciation for my time, she gave me one of his powder horns.

I suspect it in modern, but custom made. Can anyone ID the maker by the mark shown in the 1st photo (looks like a "W" over an "A")? Any idea what it is worth?

Attachments

• 6e22_1.JPG
    6e22_1.JPG
    17.4 KB · Views: 203
  • 6d95_1.JPG
    6d95_1.JPG
    18.8 KB · Views: 185
  • 6ed2_1.JPG
    6ed2_1.JPG
    25 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:
You've got the right forum.

You might want to submit a letter & photos to Muzzle Blasts magazine or Muzzle Loader magazine. You can also try posting the inquire at Muzzleloadingforum.com. I dunno who WA is, but for one thing, his horn is original in that it doesn't follow the French & Indian War, American Revolution or Tansel family style pattern.

This is a very nice horn but not very old. I recognize the brass and it is still available from "The Possibles shop" Do not recognize the maker as there are so many good makers out there. In fact, would not be surprised if it's maker is still alive. Is the wooden plug lathe turned or carved? Very basic and well made. This piece would compliment any Buckskinner's outfit. Old horn has a look and sometimes this look is faked. Yours is an original piece and it's current age should not deminish it's attractiveness. Make sure it does not contain any powder.

Be Safe

Last edited:
I have discovered the maker: Austin Walker from Portage, Michigan. He is a modern day horn maker and he is very good at it...it is a really beautifully made powder horn. Very well executed.

Now I wish I had a flintlock or percussion cap rifle to hang it on. Thanks for the help, all!

Back