Custom pocket Taurus Model 85

Tinker Pearce

A while back there was a thing called the Taurus View- an absurdly small and light revolver in .38 Special. It was called 'The View' because of a gimmicky lexan side plate that they eventually replaced with aluminum because it was a bad idea.
Taurus-View-ECA01.jpg

It was designed for pocket-carry, and it was definitely small and light, but by most accounts the weight and tiny handle made it brutal to shoot, even with wadcutters. It got me thinking... how small could a J-frame sized revolver be before you his seriously diminished functionality? I cam across a Model 85 in trade and decided to find out.

To start I bobbed the hammer, then took a 1/2" off the barrel and re-crowned it. Then I went after the grip-frame and shortened it significantly, welding new metal onto the bottom.
bLv38Qe.jpg

I tried a couple of grip shapes, and in the end settled on something rather like a smaller, flatter Ergo Delta that I made out of some Bocote wood. It looks like there is nothing to hang onto, but it's really controllable, even with some +P loads.

After a long sweaty summer in a pocket holster in my workshop the finish was suffering. When a buddy that does Cerakoting offerred to finish it in tungsten I was all over it. When I reassembled the gun I installed a modified Model 60 trigger-return spring and smoothed things up inside. Now, while it's no one's idea of a light trigger it is at least lighter and is decently decently smooth.

Since it's my pocket-gun around the house and workshop it's become my most-carried gun. At 19 oz. it's not a lightweight, but the extra mass helps tame the recoil, and it is by no means excessive.

On to the pictures-
ig94pcK.jpg
7Z5BaW9.jpg

xvK3Pnj.jpg

UYzrrtX.jpg

Here's a video of me shooting the gun. The loads are 125gr HPs loaded to maximum standard pressure. As you can see the grip forces your hand very high on the gen and manages recoil surprisingly well.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3ZRcqRa5LM

Here's a photo of me holding the gun (in it's original finish)
211uSJ8.jpg

Accuracy is about what you'd expect from a snubby- this is 7-yard rapid-fire and double-taps from last month.
ZO2Kdln.jpg

you know what, that top gun with a grip like the one you made, and loaded with 148gr. target wad cutters could be a really great little pocket gun with minimal recoil.

you know what, that top gun with a grip like the one you made, and loaded with 148gr. target wad cutters could be a really great little pocket gun with minimal recoil.

That thought had actually occurred to me; I think recoil would be much more manageable with a better grip.

Nice work on that Taurus. It's both functionally practical and exceptionally attractive. You did a much better job with the concept than Taurus did.

One of those chambered in .32 and a 6 round cylinder would be pretty cool.

Nice work as usual but I am curious about the ammo you have pictured. Can you tell us more about it?

As Highvalley said, this is Federal HST Micro, a sort of updated jacketed version of the old reverse-hollow-base wadcutter. Designed for short barrels, it achieves both adequate penetration and consistent expansion in testing.

That's both gorgeous and practical. That finish and those grips are outstanding.

I've always considered myself a semiauto kind of guy, but true DA triggers are fine and safe and fantastic revolver deals keep throwing themselves at me and it's causing an identity crisis.

I'd probably end up with a 9mm J-frame if S&W cared to affordably introduce such a thing. They don't.

Back