custom made rifle stock

Joe Portale

I have a beautiful chunk of mesquite wood that I have been curing for a couple of years. It has always been my intention to make a rifle stock out of it. Can anyone recommend a stock maker that is willing to turn this block of wood into a rifle stock.

Thanks.

------------------
Joe Portale
Tucson, Arizona Territory

"Those who turn their swords into plow shears,
end up plowing the fields of those who didn't"
Thomas Jefferson

I suppose you want a real custom stock maker who is amongst the best and will fit the stock to you, both physically and to you esthetic desires. This level of craftsmanship will probably cost $1,000 or more.
Of couse, you also need the barreled action.
I can vouch for Dennis Smith, alias the Stock Doctor, of Lincoln, Mo., formerly of Kimber of Oregon and Reinhart Fajen. He is an independent craftsman.
His email is stkdoc@juno.com
Send him a letter and tell him what you want done.
The folks a Wenig Custom Gunstocks are also a possibility and also located in Lincoln, Mo. and also former Fajen/Bishop people. They are all familiar with mesquite as a stock material, as Fajen and Bishop used mesquite.
Their web site is www.wenig.com

Joe. Have you tried asking at Lawson's, right here in Tucson. Randy did a beautiful job on my Mauser .280 Remington.
They've done other work for me as well, and I've always been satisfied. Then there is the David Miller shop, also in Tucson, but he is outrageously expensive. I don't know if he'd just shape a stock or not. Frank Wells is also in town, and while he has a good reputation, I have never used his services. Just a few locals for you to check out.
Paul B.

Back