custom cz vz24 .225 winchester cal.

I have this .225 VZ24 with the mouser 98 action It's a beautiful rifle.I am hoping someone can give me a idea where or what web site that I can go to for a value of this rifle. Thanks for any help.

Somebody will make a guess if you post pictures here.

But what you have is a military surplus action turned into a sporter in an odd caliber. Resale value will not be high unless it is not only very well done but done by a nationally known gunsmith.

As Jim said, resale value of sporterized M98 actions is a money-losing proposition. While you can find some very nice examples of finely made gunsmith rifles built on M98 actions selling for more, most M98 sporters fall into the $300 range +/- $50 or so.

A rifle chambered for an obsolete cartridge, like the 225 Winchester, will have a lower value simply because of the need to rechamber it prior to being able to fire it. Unless it is a really fine example of workmanship and excellent materials, it is worth about $200-$250 and absolutely no more than $300. Remember, you will have to pay someone to recut a chamber you can get ammo for.

225Win was Winchester's pitiful responce to the 220Swift and was abandoned long ago.

I'd say the only value the gun has would be to someone who wants the gun purely for the action.

Sent from HenseMod6.

Last edited:
.225 Winchester was a proprietary cartridge loaded only by Winchester, and was supposed to be an alternative to the .220 Swift. It was a semi-rimmed cartridge.

It never became popular and was more or less "replaced" by the .22-250.

To be brutally honest, you are going to have a hard time selling your rifle in the .225 calibre unless you find an afficionado of the .225 cartridge. Your best bet is to put the gun on Gunbroker and let the market decide the value.

In addition to the last post. If the feed rails have been "modified" to help feed the oddball .225 cases, the value may be even lower. I have a VZ24 Mauser barrelled in 220 Swift that I chose not to modify in case I got tired of the 220 later and wanted to go back to a more agreeable case.

Back