Custom .308 or off the shelf?

slickpuppy

I am new to this caliber and have been looking around at some of the rifles out there and I guess maybe I am too picky. I looked at the Remingtons, Winchesters, and Savages and they don't really float my boat. About the only thing I see that I like off the shelf is the Steyr SBS Tactical McMillan rifle in .308. I was wanting to use the rifle to get started in long range target shooting, mostly at 600 yards. Having reviewed posts from a lot of the experts floating around with long range experience it is my understanding that .308 would not be a great choice for 1000 yard competition if I expand my horizons to that distance (correct me if I am wrong). If I were to have a bolt gun built around .308 what would be a good action/barrel/barrel twist combination? Would it be worthwhile to find an old Mauser 98 action to use? I have a Kreiger barrel on a custom AR15 that shoots sub moa when I do my part. Is the Kreiger a good choice for .308? I know there are 2 camps regarding button rifling versus hammer forged, but isn't barrel life for hammer forged much greater than a button rifled barrel? Also, could anyone give me a ballpark price for the Steyr SBS Tactical McMillan vs. custom built bolt gun with comparable stocks, etc? Thanks for any insight and enlightenment you can provide.

[This message has been edited by slickpuppy (edited October 22, 1999).]

International Palma competition is shot at 1000 yards and by regulation, the only cartridge allowed is a .308 Win with a 155 gr Sierra projectile. In the right hands, the .308 can be a good and effective long range caliber.

Hope this helps, Mikey

------------------
When Guns Are Outlawed, I Will Be Another One Of The Quarter Million Violators Who Are Not Prosecuted

If I were to advise you on a rifle I would have to know a little about your personality What you like and dislike and if you are the type that close is good enough or if you are a perfectionist who will only be happy with the best. Building a rifle is a very personal thing and should be looked at as a one time deal. If you trade guns when the new wears off then you would be better served with something off the shelf. As far as actions are concerned you can build a gun on a Rem, action that will shoot as good as any custom action gun made. You ask why spend the extra money for a custom action? There are several answers to that question. One is pride of ownership. Having a rifle and action made specifically for you down the serial number you want. An other reason being that It will retain value much better than a factory actioned gun. The rifles being made on Remington actions will have a custom barrel and more than likely one of our fiberglass stocks and will look the same if it was the first rifle that the gunsmith down the street made or the best custom rifle builder in the US made. With a custom action you will be getting the very best action the maker is capable of making and you will get the best rifle he is capable of making because it will have a big sign saying this is a so and so rifle. So he will want it to represent his workmanship.
Now that that has been settled I will give you some advice on how to settle on the builder. Ask for references, find out if any big names use the builder and check with them to see if they are happy. Since there is so many things that come into building a good rifle you don't want to be his first customer! If you can find out if he is solvent. Some gunsmiths live from one deposit to the next. I can name one who has gone bankrupt twice wiping out several hundred thousand dollars of customer deposits. A builder doesn't have to be a big outfit but he should have a good reputation as a quality gunsmith. One source is to check the BBB to see if he has had any complaints filed with them.
Good luck and if you have any questions feel free to email me
Gale McMillan

Thanks for the replies and the insight. I am a bit of a perfectionist I must admit. Fortunately, I no longer have a wife to bleed my wallet and I can buy my toys in peace :) As for selling off a gun...no way! I only buy. Are there any good websites for custom builders that are in business? Could anyone recommend any good books on the .308?

Thanks,
Martin

[This message has been edited by slickpuppy (edited October 25, 1999).]

I missed the question about barrels. Accuracy is my only interest and I will tell you that I won't build a rifle on a cut or hammer forged barrel. As for the cut barrels lasting longer that's a marketing ploy by cut barrel makers . The steel is the same make and within 2 points the same hardness and when you pull a button through a barrel it works the surface and increases surface hardness. If you check all the records established in the last twenty years you will be hard pressed to find one set by a cut rifle barrel

Take a look at www.mcmfamily .com and you can see our stocks and rifles.
Gale

Back