Custom 1911's

Sling Shot

I looked at the prices for Kimber 1911's, and to me I would just rather spend the extra and get a custom. I have looked at Wilson Combat and Les Baer web sites, and they offer some very nice 1911's. What other custom makers should I consider while I am on my quest for a custom 1911? What custom 1911 maker is your favorite and why?
Sling Shot

I like you was going to take the 1911 plunge and was seriously considering a Kimber. Then I started haunting the 1911forum.com and checking out the posts about the custom guns. I wanted a pistol that would take the place of all of my other auto pistols and do it with style. To make a long story short, I just received a Wilson Combat 1996A2 that was lovingly cared for during its first 3000 rounds. It is an amazing handgun. The fit and finish and the accuracy are outstanding. I've only shot 100 rounds through it but the previous owner (I trust him) never had a malfunction in 3000 rounds, and he ran everything under the sun through the gun. I called Wilson Combat and talked to them about service for a second hand gun and they said they back up all of their guns, period. Unless you have your heart set on a gun that is custom only to you, consider purchasing used. Many custom gun owners pamper their guns and a few thousand rounds is nothing to a 1911 (Wilson told me they expect their guns to last 50,000 rounds). I don't have any experience with the other custom makers so I can't comment on them.

Rock River, Briley, Nowlin, STI, SV, Springfield Custom Shop (check these guys out!), Ed Brown.

If I were going to have a 1911 made by a 'name' I'd talk to Ed Brown, because I think he's the best.

Thanks for the replys men. I am really giving the Les Baer Premier 2 a good look. I have no experience in buying from any of the custom 1911 makers. I went to the Les Baer site, and looked at the prices for his customs. They were all retail prices, so am I stuck buying at retail, or can I buy at a happy medium between wholesale and retail? Does Les Baer have dealers that I can buy from that would give me a price break off of retail? If so, who is a reputable dealer of Les Baer 1911's? I do not want to sound like a penny pincher especially on a custom, but I could use the saved money for ammo. Thanks, Sling Shot

There is a difference between wholesale & retail on the Baer product line, but I am told that it's not very big. I doubt that you can get much of a break.

TB., NC

I have a Wilson Lightweight Protector that will never leave my possesion. They are the best in my limited experience. However, the wait is rather long at the moment for it or most of the custom shops.

With the exception of Gunsite, they currently have a stock of customized Springfields at the bargain price of 995. I received mine last week and have been very pleased so far. The only addtional mod I asked for was for them to stipple the front and backstrap, I had it in my hand a week later. The fit was nice and tight. The notorious Springfield sharp edges had beed dehorned. The grip had more of a traditional feel that the blocky Springfield feel. Tritium Novaks, reliability package, and trigger work finish out the package.

http://www.gunsite.com/Gunsmithy_index/Pistol_Catalog/Pistol_Specs/pistol_specs.html

FWIW, I hear that Springfield is revamping their loaded packages to include a dehorn job.

For Wilsons or Baers or Brown, check these guys out, they may have one instock or on the way:

http://www.pt-partners.com/

I might be the minority on this subject but I wouldn't buy a Rock River Arms 1911. At least not for another year or so. I did a survey over on 1911forum.com on recently bought RRA's. Not one recently purchased RRA functioned flawlessly from the get go. All had very very minor problems that were easy to fix. A couple had cosmetic flaws due to the gun being shipped with the trigger lock in place.

If a person is spending that amount of money on a gun, the "custom" gun should be perfect. I'm not bashing RRA in anyway, these are just the facts. They are being informed by the members so hopefully things will change in the near future.

fwiw,
I would recommend a Wilson for your first custom, semi-custom.. whatever you want to call it.. 1911. They function great and Wilson stands behind their products.

If you decide to jump to the one man smith, there are a lot of good ones. A few GREAT ones.

I have to agree...

the Wilsons look immaculate and he stands behind em. Used might be a good idea as the custom 1911s don't sell that well and the original owner takes a pretty big hit.

Back