Current Federal 45ACP 230 grain Hydra-Shok Ammunition Part # P45HS1

Rmf33

Hi all,
I recently purchased 2 boxes of the above to replace my older (same part #) carry ammo. I have noticed that a few of these (cycled in & out of the chamber of a '91-A1) have mal-formed lead portions at the tip of the bullet on the inside (the jacketed portion is fine). Any ideas? I have never noticed this before. A couple of rounds have as much as 3/64" displaced lead. Picture a "doughnut" of lead while
looking head-on at the projectile. Odd!
Bob
p.s. I am 'slightly' anal w/ my carry ammo. Hydra-Shoks have
been my only carry ammo for the last 3 years....should I send these to Federal? Again, odd.
p.p.s. The 'cycled' rounds are identified by the scuffs on the jacket of the projectile; I load and un-load regularly
and "rotate" rounds to prevent possible setback of the projectile.

RMF,

You stated...>>Picture a "doughnut" of lead while
looking head-on at the projectile. <<

Yes, you will see wear on the nose of the bullet when it comes in contact with the feed ramp and upper portion of the chamber, but not the type that you describe. The odds having wear marks in such a manner with several rounds, such as the "doughnut" look you describe are too great, especially considering that you stated several rounds show these marks. Yes, you will see wear and marks, but for the most part the will not be as uniform around the entire circumference of the bullet as you describe.

You never mentioned whether or not you had these bullets in the magazine while you fired the weapon. I believe that would be the most likely scenario. The recoil, combined with soft lead points and extra length could impact on the inside of your magazine causing the deformity you decribed, basically a hammering on the bullet nose.

Another explanation is if you ride a motorcycle or routinely keep the weapon in the glove box of a car where the vibration and jarring of the weapon can move the cartridges back and forth in the magazine, creating the condition you describe.

I doubt that Federal would do much if you returned the ammo and would most likely contribute the problem to the user, rather than having a batch of soft bullet alloy slip through the QC process.

And George, not trying to "flame" your reply, just make a point.

Good Shooting,
Red

Back