Curious...

Like most animals, they like living where there is year-round food and shelter, away from people. The NE has cold winters with lots of snow, not much year-round food they would like, and a lot of people. But sooner or later, they'll be there.

Scorch might remember this from Wa. A few years back the Wa dept of fish and wildlife posted a Hog hunting oportunity in the Wynoochee river area of the Olympic national forest. Apparently an old pig farm in the area had some escapee's and they started breeding wild in the forest along the river. A buddy and I went out immediatly and scouted the area. Even talked to a ranger and never a hog in sight. Word is a couple locals got a few and that was it. No more sightings. Bummer that would be a lot of fun to have hog hunting in the area. I guess we have to go south for now guys.

But the wild russian hogs live in very cold climates in Russia, no? I can imagine they could certainly survive the cold winters?

Of course - cold is not a problem. Food is perhaps .What's available ? They love acorns like all the other animals. Someone here was raising europian type boar but they escaped and some locals " have pork in their freezers " !!!:rolleyes:

Of course Hogs can survive the cold, otherwise we wouldn't have them in Wisconsin. It's been about 4 years since the first reports wild hogs started coming in and they've increased every year. In most places that have larger populations of wild hogs, they were released on purpose or escaped from farmers pens. The most likely answer to your question is that the hogs havn't worked their way up to your neck of the woods yet, or no one released them in your area.

For starters Scrap the russians that are here are so Desmoceticated (i think is how you speel it) that it would not matter how cold or hot it gets. The next thing is that no matter how much snow pigs will root to find food if they lasted. It is kinda taking an un desmocated polar bear and putting it in the Texas heat it wont last. Pigs are so accoustmed to the heat if you transport them to the north they would die, they would not be able to just get that easy food like down here. In the next 10 years i'll bet you start seeing more and more pigs getting futher north. And lastely why do you want thase blabin things up there all they are good for is tear things up and to scare off the deer they are worthless to the ecosystem, but I have to add they are a blast to shoot.:D :D :D

Back