Curious about Colt revolvers

differences

My first answer was "about $2000"!

Next, the King Cobra is currently produced, the Python has been discontinued for about 15 years.

But the real answer if frame size. The King Cobra is built on the Colt "medium" frame, the Python was built on the Colt "large" frame. I am not sharp enough to say what those frame designations were, but it is comparable to the various Smith & Wesson designations like K, L and N frames.

Though the frame sizes of the original King Cobra and Python were similar, the internals were much different. The KC lockwork was borrowed from the Trooper design, which was lower cost and designed to require less hand fitting.

I'm unfamiliar with the internal details of the current King Cobra.

Last edited:
The King Cobra and the Python, what's the difference?
A bunch...
The KC was designed to compete against S&W's 586/686 series guns. They went to cheaper mass produced parts that required minimal fitting and could be sold for half the price of a Python. The Python was premium gun, the King Cobra a mass production gun.
Now, that doesn't mean the KC was a bad gun, not at all. I owned two. They were great shooters but for the life of me I'll never understand why original KC's shot way up in value like the Pythons. They simply were not worth big bucks.

Jim

"...The Python was a premium gun..." Yep. The only mass produced hand gun that does not require a trigger job out of the box because it was done in the factory. That's also why the things ran a grand when they were still made.
As mentioned, the Cobra was similar to a Smith internally. Its innards were machine fitted vs hand fitted.
Oh and there are 2,370,000 on-line discussions about the Cobra vs the Python.
Don't think a 2 grand difference is enough though. $800 will buy you a 3" Cobra on Gunbroker. Pythons start at about 3 grand. snicker.

Which King Cobra, the older original or the New King Cobra??

The old King Cobra was a medium frame revolver that was the last in the line of the new medium framed transfer bar safety-ignition revolvers began in 1969 with the Mark III series.
The Mark III series was followed by the Mark V series, and the King Cobra was simply a Trooper Mark V with a different profile barrel and was first offered in stainless steel.

The Python was also a medium framed revolver, first made in 1908 as the Army Special.
The frame is a totally different design from the later Mark III-King Cobra, and has a completely different action.
About the only thing the King Cobra and the Python had in common was that both were medium size frames and were made by Colt.
No parts or grips interchange between the two.

The new King Cobra is a small frame revolver.
This is the same size frame and cylinder as the older Colt "D" frames like the Detective Special, Cobra, Agent, and Diamondback.
However, while the frames and cylinders are the same size as the older "D" frame models, the new Cobra and King Cobra are totally different actions.
Again, these new models have transfer bar ignition-safety actions that are totally different then the older "D" frame models.

In addition, unlike either the original King Cobra or the Python, the new King Cobra is made of MIM, (Metal Injection Molding) technology, and doesn't have a forged steel frame and barrel.

The only modern Colt large frame revolver was the Anaconda.

Lockwork. Python has a 19th Century lockwork. The newer Colts have a S&W type (in function) lockwork. The King Cobra & newer Troopers (original Troopers had the same lockwork as the Python) and other newer Colt revolvers have the S&W type action.

A bit of explanation here: The Python was built on the mid-size Colt frame. Frames were Police Positive as the smallest, Official Police was mid-size, the New Service the largest. As to which letter designation each is/were, I have no idea.

Many years ago I had some correspondence with Colt asking them to make a .44 Magnum on the New Service frame and give it the same treatment as the Python.

Colt told me to mind my own business.

Bob Wright

Tear it down to the nitty-gritty and you've got a coil spring action (King Cobra) vs a leaf spring action (Python).

The different types of mainsprings give the two a completely different feel and mechanically they are quite different.

Just about as different as any two revolvers can be. I've read through all of jerry kuhnhausen's shop manuals and you're talking about the Mark V vs the D,E,I frame models and they are indescribably different.

I saw ONE Trooper Mk III with a good DA, comparable to Smith.
I think the fact that it had nickel plated hammer and trigger in a blue gun had something to do with it. The plating leveled out the coarse sintered metal surface of the action parts.

Back