ct rifle/shotgun law question

1S1KWTD?

Inactive
I purchased a shotgun about 2 years ago and i waited the 2 weeks and went to my FFL and picked it up but now i'd like to purchase a rifle. My question is do i have to wait the 2 weeks again before i can pick up a new rifle from like a Cabelas or Dick sporting goods? Ive tried researching it but no luck. Any info would help thanks.

Yes, unless you have a hunting license or pistol permit. Each transaction has its own 2 week waiting period. I would just go get the pistol permit, just for this reason.

^^^

What he said.

There is (or used to be) a third option: There is (or was) an obscure sort of quasi-permit called (IIRC) a firearms eligibility card, or something like that. It allows you to purchase without the waiting period, but it is NOT a license to carry or to transport. Sounds like a good deal for those who don't plan to carry -- except that the requirements to get it are exactly the same as for a carry permit, and the eligibility card doesn't even allow you to transport to a range, so nobody bothers to get it. Might as well get the carry permit.

CT, is that eligibility card thing even still on the books in Connecticut?

Used to be an eligibility certificate that allowed you to purchase handguns and bring them directly to your home/work. That hasn't been around for a long time. The permit is a PITA to get initially, but after that it just has to be renewed every 5 years. I got mine just for an extra form of state ID.

Yes, get a pistol permit and you can skip the waiting period. Also, for long guns a hunting license lets you skip the waiting period.

Back