Crowning Tool Pilot Diameter

CowTowner

I have a friend who is willing to create some pilots for my crowning tool.
What I haven't found is the diameter measurements.
I'm looking for the following:
.45 ACP
9mm Para
.38 Super Auto
.380 Auto.
.40 S&W/10mm Auto

Any help greatly appreciated as usual.

If you have a set of pin gauges, then can be poked into the muzzle to measure the bore diameter. They are in 0.0010" increments. In between sizes from MSC.

Clark, we don't have the fancy tools you do. My friend just turns some brass and aluminum for fun on a small lathe in his garage.
While I appreciate the pointer to the correct tool for the job, I was hoping someone could measure the pilots they have on hand and provide the dimensions.

The best way Ive found is to have the barrel at the lathe and cut it to fit a little at a time. I got some brass round stock and do it that way when making pilots for my shotgun choke cutter/threader.

Cowtowner,

If you want pilots for those chamberings in general, then I would start with the SAAMI drawing barrel dimension for bore diameter less 0.001".

.380 Automatic 0.348"-0.001"=.0347" pilot
.38 Super 0.346"-0.001" = 0.345" pilot
40 S&W 0.390"-0.001"=0.389" pilot
45 Auto 0.442"-0.001"=0.441" pilot

If each pilot is for one specific barrel, you can cut that fit in half, but how important that is also depends on how long the pilot is. If you have a pilot that's one inch long with 0.001" of wiggle room, it can theoretically allow up to 0.0005" of tilt across a 0.5" muzzle. If it is a 4" long pilot (and the barrel is at least that long, too), the maximum tilt will be a quarter of that. This assumes perfectly square seating of the pilot on the cutter.

Unclenick,

Many thanks for the numbers.

Don P,

Between myself and my GF, we have some "well used" firearms that were purchased that way. I'm just trying to do as much as I can to clean up the muzzle ends along with replacing springs and other parts as I go through them.

All pilots run about 0.001" under size of the bore, to keep them concentric. It is best to measure a bore, and turn one, if you want to get it super-accurate. If correct, they will fit snuggly, and turn, but there will be no discernible movement as far as wobble, etc.

You can turn a pilot to about 0.001" fat, which would equal the actual bore dimension, easily, then use emery cloth to take it down to a pilot dimension. That gives it a smooth surface, like it would have had if it been ground.

One can actually take the pilot blank out of the lathe, and keep trying it for fit, in the bore, once you start with the emery, and get the closest fit possible that way. You want it to just slide in, and be able to turn. If you have a long enough bed on the lathe, pull the tailstock back, and use the rifle barrel as a gauge, without taking the blank out of the chuck.

Thanks Dixie Gunsmithing and 4V50 Gary.
More info is always better than less. That's why I enjoy this place so much.
Experience is the best teacher.

Back