Cross Draw Holster for CCW?

1911Ford

The state I currently live in does not have ccw, but the one I used to live in does. Anyway in anticipation that MO will put ccw on the ballot again in a year or two I have been thinking on what type of holster I want. I think a crossdraw holster would offer the best concealment. If I just tuck the pistol into my waistband it is not as noticable and just as comfortable in this fashion as it is in a normal IWB holster that I used to have. Anyway, where could I find a good IWB cross draw holster? Has/Does anybody else carry like this?

Crossdraw has to sit forward of the hip unless you have arms like an octopus, so I think it's harder to conceal. I vote for strongside IWB with the rear sight right at the point of the hip. Easy to reach, easy to conceal with a denim vest or a jacket.

Cross draw does have it's problems, BUT if you sit a lot or drive a car, cross draw is really good.

To get a IWB cross draw, you'll probably have to have one made. Check the gun magazines at the store. Most makers advertise in them.

Another option is a clip that attaches to the gun, allowing the gun to be clipped to the belt. Barami also makes a clip-grip that replaces the grip on your gun.

Personally, I like a holster and would recommend finding a custom maker to fix you up, if you decide to go cross draw.

1911Ford:

Crossdraw, like all methods, has its advantages and disadvantages. It's main advantages are that it is comfortable while sitting in a car and easy to draw from while sitting.

Crossdraw does NOT offer the best concealment. Not by a long shot. The gun is placed forward of the hip with the butt facing forwards. It only takes a bit of wind to open your coat and you've flashed. An IWB holster worn on the strong side hip, behind the point of the hip, overs much better concealment.

Strong side hip holsters are also easier to defend from a grab attempt. Strong side hip holsters are less comfortable and harder to draw from when seated.

M1911

Mitch Rosen (www.mitchrosen.com) makes a couple crossdraw concealment rigs. The Slim-X is worn between the belt and pants. And they also have Tito's Revenge which is an IWB Crossdraw rig designed by narcotics officers. Yeah, they are expensive but if you are only buying one holster for your favorite gun, I have found that you might as well spend the money and do it ight the first time. Go to their website and look on their "Slimline" holsters and you will see the holsers I am talking about.

Everyone's body is different. Due to my large upper back and shoulders which creates an indented curve at my waist and lower back, I conceal best on my strong side or behind my hip. But my other friends print like crazy if they wear there, and even with a beer belly they can instead wear up front and conceal. It is strange how people's bodies conceal differently, You cannot "guess" you just have to try each type and find what works for you. It has taken me years of carrying concealed daily to experiment with every kind of carry and find what is most comfortable and concealable for my body. Losing 50 pounds sure has helped though, my clothes are baggy and my waist smaller. I carry a full size Glock .45 or 1911 concealed now, no problem, in a holster like the Mitch Rosen ARG or Waldon Sidewinder or Milt Sparks Watch Six.

I believe Waldon has a new Crossdraw out also. Check them out at http://www.waldonholsters.com.

Good Luck getting CCW passed in your State.

Back