Crimson Trace Lasergrips - Burlwood Finish Rubs Off... Quickly.

JSMidd

***Please see my update lower in this thread, as Crimson Trace has come through excellently.***

Four months ago, I bought a new Sig C3 1911 that came with the Crimson Trace Lasergrips factory installed.

They are a polymer grip that are painted and/or finished to look like they are made of burlwood.

After four months of daily concealed carry, parts of the burlwood finish have come off, and now the stark white polymer is showing through. It looks horrible.

When I contacted Crimson Trace customer service twice, each time, I got the response that "daily carry of this product will naturally result in this finish wearing off".

Just a heads-up. It looks real pretty when it's brand new, but that beauty fades, and quickly.

Last edited:
I would keep on bugging them.

Ask them "Where in your literature does it says that?"

Send them a picture of the grips,,,
Tell them that their snippy answer is unacceptable.
Inform them that you are going to post it in every gun forum that exists.

I'll bet that gets their attention.

Aarond

Aarond,

Here is the correspondence from both attempts. For the sake of clarity, I'll put my communication in blue, and theirs in red.

Dear Crimson Trace,

I bought a Sig Sauer 1911 C3 Crimson Trace model, which came with factory installed lasergrips in the burlwood finish. After less than four months, parts of the burlwood finish is rubbing off, and only from normal carry outside the waistband underneath an untucked shirt.

Is this normal? The grip is showing white in spots where the finish is wearing off.

Thanks for any help you can give me on this.

They responded...

The finish may wear off after a time due to normal wear and tear. This is a normal occurrence and is not a warranty issue. Please do not hesitate to let us know if we can be of further assistance!

And so I responded back...

Thanks for your prompt response. I'm surprised that you would consider the finish of a $320 product wearing off in four months "normal occurrence". You can be of further assistance by letting me know if this product's finish is only expected to last for four months or so.

Thanks for letting me know if this is the case or not.

And they replied with...

It depends on how much you use it. People who carry their firearm regularly usually see the effects of wear sooner than those who do not carry. Four months of carrying it in a holster on your person generates quite a bit of friction.

That's pretty bad for a product that costs that much. At minimum, they should have you send it in and they can take your laser and plug it in another grip piece. I'd keep pushing it - threatening to broadcast should get them to do the right thing.

Their distinction between people who carry their firearm and those who do not carry is odd considering that laser grips are presumably intended for a self-defense pistol, not a range-only pistol.

Thanks for the "heads up" about the finish issue. Weird that the underlying plastic is not dyed a dark color so they only look "shabby" when the finish wears off. White plastic stands out too much (I know it is supposed to be "concealed" but the grips are sticking out of the holster so if the wind blows your shirt up, darker is more discrete).

After a Firing Line member with some contacts at Crimson Trace shared my story with those contacts, I received an email from the same Customer Service representative that had been dealing with my situation saying that would swap mine out at no charge with their new "master series" grips.

Great work, forum, and thank you Crimson Trace.

Carry on.

Glad they took care of you. CTC is a great company. :D

I really like my SIG C3 as well.

Last edited:
Or, a mistake was made, and rectified. :D

Don't think that they are just going to pacify a customer with a new grip. Not the way CTC works. Their dedication to the shooting sports, their customers, partners and employees is exemplary. I am positive that they will address the issue with SIG and find a solution so that this won't happen in the future.

And no, I do not work for CTC nor am I sponsored by them.

Back