crimping factory 9mm?

old fart

i have a ruger lcr 9mm and while it hasn't jumped crimp yet, i still think about when it might. all my ammo is freedom munitions all 3000rds of 124 and 135 grain. i was wondering is there a way i could go through the ammo and crimp it tighter? if i could, what would be the cheapest way of doing it? thanks for any help.

I don't think this is necessary UNTIL you find that it is necessary.

I will also say that you are FAR MORE LIKELY to have a problem of this specific nature with Freedom Munitions than you ever would be with proper, new factory ammo from a known big name source such as Winchester, CCI, Federal, Hornady, R-P, Magtech, etc etc etc.

With all that said...

You could do what you say you wish to do with a Lee Carbide Factory Crimp Die in 9mm, and some manner of a reloading press.

Sorry, CHEAPEST way to do that is the Lee die (around $20-$25), one shell holder ($5-$6) and Lee's cheapest "C" frame press mounted to a table or work bench. (Hmmm... maybe... $20-$30...?)

Without a press -- I can't think of any realistic possible way of doing it.

Unless there's some known problem with the ammo, "adding crimp" is more likely to create problems than resolve them. Most of what prevents bullet set-back is friction between the bullet and the inside of the case. Excess crimp can actually cause the case just below the crimp to bend out away from the bullet, giving you LESS resistance instead of more.

In addition, since 9mm headspaces on the mouth of the case, excessive crimp could cause the round to move farther forward than expected, increasing the distance from the firing pin and weakening (or preventing) ignition.

You're really only crimping 9mm to remove any flare that was introduced prior to seating the bullet. Adding more isn't going to do anything positive.

Back