Crimped Winchester 9mm brass

JKP

Being a brass rat, I pick up brass from the range when I see it. Today I found Winchester 9mm with crimped in primers. I've never seen this before, has anyone else?

Last edited:
Yes. It appears they occasionally use up left over brass from other runs, and rumor has it they used to outsource some production. Last time i saw some was years ago, but haven't bought any new Win fmj rounds in quite some time. Not since started finding the 115 fmjhb as a reloading component.

Yes, I have found them and some others occasionally. I gauge, sort, and cull a couple head stamps, after sizing. I toss the crimped brass in a plastic sandwich bag and keep it in the box with the rest of the brass that is ready to load. When the bag gets full I do crimp removal and dump them in with the rest.

I use the RCBS tool that cuts the crimp out, you can use it with a brass prep station, or just chuck it up in your drill. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1012921650?pid=254170

Last edited:
NATO standard brass is always crimped, and I have found some NATO marked 9mm brass, but rarely. With the huge abundance of 9mm brass, I usually just scrap them.

I occasionally stumble across a crimped primer from time to time. I just give the primer pockets a few twists with my RCBS chamfer tool to remove the crimp ring and it’s good to go.

Back