Crimped primers identification

BondoBob

I'm about to start my first batch of 38spl. Want to make sure I don't pop a primer with the auto prime. How can I tell if any of my brass had crimped primers and how do I deal with that if I do? Using WSP.

Also, what are the legal ramifications if you do accidentally pop one off?

I and maybe some others will let you in to the club .
As for the legal ramifications you bought it you live with it .
People have primed a lot of brass with the auto prime .
You are the first reloader to ever say legal ramifications . (I THINK)
Sometimes crap happens big boys live with it .

Usually, crimped primers are just in military brass, and they don't make much 38 Special. Occassional commercial loads use them, but I don't recall ever seeing any in 38 Special.

Legal ramifications? Are you planning to sue yourself for having made that mistake? I suppose a neighbor might mistake it for a gunshot and call the police, but you can explain it to them if that happens.

Yeah, I know goofy question. It never occurred to me but I read something about that on another forum, the nosy neighbor thing. I think I'll just get all my information here from now on.

Google for crimped primer brass pictures. If any of your brass looks like the pics, you need to remove the crimp. Either swage, buy a tool to cut it out or use a pocket knife like we used to do before all the new accessories.

in 9mm and .40 pistol brass - look for head stamp WMA which is winchester military spec ammo. - Most if not all of it I come across is crimped - looks like an additional ring stamped around the primer pocket, usually. Some primer crimps look like a jewelry setting with 3 or 4 dents around the primer pocket. These shells are so few and far between that I typically just scrap them as well over 95% of my range brass has no crimp I just don't choose to deal with it- not worth my time -

My routine for straight walled pistol brass is decap, then tumble, then the rest. It is pretty easy to detected crimped primers when decapping, and I just put those aside as I go through the rest. Usually it is just a handful or so, and almost always 9mm. I then run that handful through an RCBS swager, put them in with the rest and into the tumbler. End of problem.

Back