• Anything ‘published’ on the web is viewed as intellectual property and, regardless of whether it displays a copyright symbol or not, is therefore copyrighted by the originator. The only exception to this is if there is a “free and unrestricted reuse” statement associated with the work.

In order to protect our members and TFL from possible litigation, all members must abide by the following new rules:

1. Copying and pasting entire articles from another site to TFL is strictly prohibited. The same applies to articles from print or other media, and to posting photographs taken of copyrighted pages or other media.

2. Copyright law provides for “fair use” of portions of a copyrighted work. You can copy no more than a SINGLE paragraph from the article to your post (3 or 4 sentences at most).

3. You must provide a link to the article along with the name of website. For example: ww.xxx.yyy/zzz (The Lower Thumbsuck Daily News).

4. You must provide, in your own words, a brief summary of the article AND your reasons for believing it will be of interest to TFL members. Failure to do so may result in the thread being closed or your post being deleted as a “cut and paste drive by.”

5. Photographs and other images are also copyrighted. "Hotlinking" of images (so that it appears in your message) from other sites is also prohibited unless you own rights to the image. If you wish to share an image, provide a clickable link to it.

Posts that do not follow these new guidelines will be altered or deleted by staff. Members who continue to violate this policy may lose their posting privileges at TFL.

Thank you for your cooperation and your participation in TFL, the leading online forum for firearms enthusiasts.

Creating a knife section?

SteelyDan

I enjoy collecting knives, and I suspect that a majority of TFL members are also interested in knives. There have been a number of times I would have liked to ask a knife question to the group, but have avoided doing so because it would be off-topic. Still, I've got the nagging feeling I'm probably not the only one who would like to see a section opened on hunting and collectible knives. You've probably thought about this before, but for what it's worth, I'll cast my vote in favor of opening up a knife forum.

There is also a good site here www.folders-r-us.org. It has good info, but it is not quite as big as places like TFL and bladeforums, so you don’t always get as fast a response as you would at those other two. Still a good site though.

Thanks for the responses. My response, in turn, is as follows:

1. ahenry: I appreciate the reference, it's one I hadn't picked up on before and I will check it out.

2. Rich: I've been reading BladeForums for a year or more, ever since I developed this knife habit, and it's a great site. I have no idea what a "sister site" is, but maybe that's part of the reason there's not a dedicated knife section here??? If so, I can certainly understand the reason for avoiding the duplication.

3. I just checked AFCQC (for the first time, maybe), and it's really not a knife forum, at least based on the dozen-or-so active posts. Also, I check out the General forum pretty regularly, and I can't remember ever seeing a knife post there. (Having said this, I suppose someone could check and find dozens, but my point is that it's just not a knife forum.)

So, I'll repeat that I'm only offering some "food for thought." A dedicated knife section does seem like a natural complement to the other sections, just in case you're laying in bed at night thinking "how can we improve this site?" Of course, my wife will verify my instincts aren't always right...

Dan-
I don't take issue with the suggestion. However, I don't like taking on anything that we can't absolutely excel at. With Spark's BladeForums and Mad Dog's TacticalForums out there, we'd be a very distant second. Not our style.
Rich

I understand. I try very hard to adhere to the same standard at work. Just for kicks, tho, I'm going to post a knife question on the General forum, since that question is actually what inspired this post in the first place. If the question dies a quick and painful death, please forget I ever raised the issue in the first place.:)

Back