Crates of Nagant revolvers?

Andy Griffith

Since I read the thread on Nagant rifles, I remember seeing a photo somewhere of Nagant revolvers...might have been J&G sales.

Do these guns exist in the original crates anymore anywhere?
Exactly how many would be in a crate? Looks to be many more than rifles- likely 50+.

I get it for collectors...

But otherwise...why?

They were dogs forever, couldn't give them away until the crazy panic the beginning of this year.

Now, they're suddenly desirable?

Follow up

I have only been into C&Rs for about two years, so the Nagants were considered dogs? Lucky for me, I really love mine and it was cheap. I know the Mosins were always considered dogs and didn't really get popular until about two years ago.

I wish I would have known in 1988 what I know now, I would have piles of SKS, SVT40s, Ljungmans, M49s, M1s, they were all dirt cheap back in the 80s when I first got into shooting.

They were dogs forever, couldn't give them away until the crazy panic the beginning of this year.

Im gana have to disagree with this statement. I was at a gun show a couple years ago and one dealer brought a couple of these crates filled with the revolvers. He had a line at his table till they were all gone, they didnt make it past half the day. A couple months later same show same dealer brought more crates boom gone by the end of the day.
As for the OP I do not remember how many per crate.

A historically interesting, mechanically fascinating revolver at a reasonablr price, that is fun to shoot is far from being a dog! I've had one for over five years. They have been selling to C&R collectors, and shooters long before the "panic".

"They were dogs forever, couldn't give them away until the crazy panic the beginning of this year." I bought mine 2 maybe 3 years before the "panic" i dont think its that fun to shoot but it was like 80 bucks and i love wwII especially the eastern front so for me it is a very nice piece of history

Just sayin' that I've read they don't handle well, are relatively inaccurate, and have a lousy trigger.

Contrasting that with something like the CZ-82, which- when ignoring the fact that it is a "collectible" firearm, is deserving of respect in it's own right.

Were the Nagant not a C&R firearm, I doubt there'd be many lining up to purchase it- especially at today's inflated prices.

They are mostly curiosity's, obsolete from the day the first one rolled off the line. I've shot mine about a hundred times ,( two boxes of ammo ), cleaned it and put it up. They have two attractions, they are a example of Russian guns used in two wars, and very cheaply priced. There are those who collect the different dates and marking, but hey, people will collect anything, some people are even turned by shoes in the Sears catalog.:D

Most importantly, they are significant pieces of world history. I don't see myself shooting mine very often but just looking at it and marveling at the quirky engineering is a form of enjoyment.

I shot a handful of those Russian milsurp rounds through mine and I have a whole new appreciation for it. Accurate as can be, and way more potent! I think I'll try to take some squirrels with it just for kicks.

I remember the photo you are talking about, and it was on JG Sales. I don't think they ever sold them in crates, but did have a photo on their site. In fact, they still have the photo, even though they are out of the pistols.

Nagant%20revolver%20%20in%20crate%202.jpg

They have two attractions, they are a example of Russian guns used in two wars, and very cheaply priced.

I'll add a third: They are the only revolver that can be suppressed successfully.

I've loaded for mine to almost 1100 f/sec with a 100gr .312" XTP.

Now, to get a can.........

Back