Crane-to-frame fit on S&W 686?

TestedTwice

So I just picked up a new Smith and Wesson 686. I love it, but I’m a little concerned about the crane-to-frame fit. There appears to be a slight gap and it looks like it’s very slightly misaligned. Does this look problematic, or is this just a cosmetic issue, or does it look fine? I’m a little worried that the crane is bent or something of the like. The gap isn’t huge, but I’ve seen revolvers with a more flush fit. Here’s a link to a picture.

https://imgur.com/a/7vk3NIW

Thats fine. I have seen much worse lately. Unfortunately they don’t build em like they used to. Is that a no dash 686?

Thats fine. I have seen much worse lately. Unfortunately they don’t build em like they used to. Is that a no dash 686?
No, this is a 686-6. I just picked it up yesterday. You think I’m golden, then? Everything else about the revolver is dead on. Only thing I’m not sure about is how it fires, as I have yet to fire it.

If everything else is dead on as you say, that wouldn't concern me . Shoot it and enjoy your good to go.

I've got three of them and yours looks fine to me. I consider this to be the finest .357mag I've ever owned, and I've owned a lot of them. I honestly like shooting it better than my Python. It's 95% as accurate as either of the Bill Davis custom built guns I've owned.

Have you given it the wiggle test?

Lock it shut like it is in the pic and see if the cylinder will move from left to right while watching the frame/crane joint. That might tell you something if there's anything to tell.

S&W aligns the barrel and cylinder chambers sometimes the parts do not form an invisible line it’s just the way things work out. As long as you have no excessive movement of the cylinder and acceptable end shake just shoot and have fun.

I have a passion for older S&W revolvers. Before I purchase I run a range rod down on at least 3 chambers. ( Brownell's Range Rod-357/38 spl. service grade) This tells me that the Crane/Yoke does not need servicing. That's not an area I want to mess with.

That gap looks OK. I prefer a tighter fit but your's would not concern me one bit.

TestedTwice, I've owned S&W revolvers from the '60s to MIM filled internal lock types. I've seen very fine, almost imperceptible, crane/frame gaps, to some more like yours on older and newer S&Ws. I do think it is less of a consideration on current product, as compared to earlier guns. But usually just a cosmetic issue, not affecting function.....

Last edited:
It wouldn't bother me a bit to have a gap like that. I have a couple of guns with better ones, slightly, and a couple that are slightly worse. None of them have any problems at all.

That's why I like my old blue P&Rs, they will pinch a cigarette paper. I carry range rods and
feller gauge when I'm dropping $800- up on revolvers.

for the heck of it I looked at two of them handy. one a new airweight, tight as can be, second, a 66 with mm parts but before the hole. tight as can be.

its just cosmetic and the result of their new way of doing things (no craftsman anymore). the underlug is canted a bit too as if it wasn't rotated all the way in alignment. im sure you can find some issues with a pre-locked gun, but they are the exceptions not the norm. in fact most of the issues I've seen with s&w revolvers are from the newer guns, not the older ones that have been in service for decades....

Back