Cracked SIGs

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrokenArrow

I hear the Baltimore county cops have over 50 SIG P226s w cracked slides. Still work, just opened up the groups a little. SIG will replace free.

Out of 1400 pistols, that almost 4%.

If the military had bought 450,000 SIGs instead of Berettas, that would be 18,000 cracked slides.

And I hear some Aussie cops have cracked slides on their Glocks too.

Sh*t happens. To everybody. :)

------------------
>>>>---->

Think about it each time a pistol is shot a mini-explosion takes place. If any gun goes 5K much less 10K, it's a feat of nature. There are lemons in every lot. I once owned a Sig 239 - .40 that had to be snet abck to the factory immediately to have the slide stop and recoil spring guide replaced. Man is not perfect.

------------------
"When guns are outlawed;I will be an outlaw."

The right rail of the frame of my first 226 had cracked after ~8K rounds. Some of the ammo I was using was towards, if not at, the higher end of the pressure spectrum. Sent it to SIG and they sent me a brand new gun.

- Ron V.

------------------

I heard something similiar from a range which rented handguns. He saw my Sig and told me they had problems with their frames cracking. The one thing I never hear when people talk about Sigs is durability.

I guess the question is: when should you expect to see wear and tear on a pistol? For the price I paid for mine, it had better be a while! :)

Unfortunetly no gun is "perfect" or will last forever...

Fortunetly if the frame on your SIG does crack chances are you'll get a new one...
FREE of charge!!! (well maybe shipping to factory...)

Hows that for customer service!

HK, GLOCK don't have that kind of customer service I hear...

Having had to send my CCW P239 for "TAKE DOWN LEVER" problems, I can assure you that SIGARMS has excellent customer service!!!
Unlike many handgun manufactures they want their clients to be very satisfied with their products...

All and all you can NEVER go wrong with a SIG SAUER, NEVER!!!

------------------
SURE SHOT

I have heard that the frame cracking problems were on the older model P226. Can anyone verify this. I have also heard that it is not unsafe and the gun will still work, but accuracy will deteriorate.

Sig is aware that high pressure loads or lotsa usage can crack the frame. Generally, a hairline crack appears, then stops growing. They told us that the safety of the firearm is not compromised. Nevertheless, I wouldn't hesistate to send it back for replacement - especially if they do it for free.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Sounds like a bad lot to me. It happens. It shouldn't, but it does. Glad to hear that they made it right. I don't mind when things go wrong IF the manufacturer makes it right. I know a man who put over 80,000 rounds through his 226. He replaced some high wear parts, lots of springs and a few barrels. Never had a frame or slide crack though. Some think that Aluminum alloy frames are fragile. I think that if its done right, they can outlast most of us. Slides too.

I think the cracking is an exception rather than the rule, but you're right. Nothing is perfect. Certainly not Sigs or any other. Glad they took care of problems though.

robert

------------------
"But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip; and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." -Jesus Christ (Luke 22:36, see John 3:15-18)

Methinks 1989 production is still "early" in the grand scheme of SIG P226 things. Would really like to know if, when, and what was done to product improve the item...vague recollections of rumors of some fix to the problem rattle about in me noggin.

Strange--does this happen to P228s? In 9mm? In .40 S&W? Just because I've never heard it doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

Four percent is a bit much. Anyone have more global stats?

Two other possibilities: some production runs of the P226 had "sand grooves" milled into the rails, to make reliability in adverse conditions better. These grooves could cause increased stress on the rails. Also, it's possible that the dept. armorer might have reused the roll pins that hold the breechblock to the slide, despite the "one time use only" warning.

Sig beefed up the 226 frame around late '80s/early '90s. I'm real curious to see what SNs are involved with the Baltimore Co problem.

Somewhere between SN U137xxx and U141xxx is when the frame was changed. That's when I stopped seeing frame cracks. The crack appears as a thin white line on the inside of the frame, right side, just above the locking insert. BTW, Sig replaced all for free.

-Chris Orndorff

The article I saw mentioned slide cracks, not frame cracks, a new one on me.

Maybe just typical newspaper fumbling firearms facts? :)

------------------
>>>>---->

Were the Sigs 9mm or 40sw and were the slides the milled or stamp steel? I know all the new Sigs 226 in 9mm,40sw,357sig come with the milled SS slide.

A friend of mine who works Border Patrol told me his 226 cracked the frame after a lot(read A LOT!!!!!!) of +p ammo. My last department carried 226's until they switched to the 229. I never heard any of them talk about a frame or slide crack. Apparently they are like any gun, it wears out after time. I still like them though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back