Coyote Hunting?

mchgnmike

What are some of your experiences hunting coyotes? A friend has a ranch and is having some troubles with coyotes and wants me to get rid of them. I have called them up at night and spotlighted them before but what are their day habits? I live in North Central Texas and from what I have noticed is the habits do change with the seasons.

I just would like to know what has worked best for you.

I've noticed that when the moon is coming on toward full, coyotes start hunting a bit earlier in the evening, even a bit before sundown. They'll hunt later in the morning after daylight, as well. I've come to believe it is because prey animals can see better with the moonlight, and are less vulnerable. Ol' Wiley has to work harder.

Vary the type of call, and vary the location. When you quit calling and decide to leave a spot, wait five minutes or so before you move. A coyote you didn't see might see you leave, and you don't want to educate him into associating the call with an Evil Human.

I guess you maybeso know that a coyote generally circles to approach Mr. Sad Rabbit from downwind, and pick your calling site in accordance with that...

Art

Thank you, Art.

I appreciate your information. I will be sure to do the things you have pointed out. How long do you stay in one spot?

I'm more apt to use a mouth-call than my baby boom-box. I'll set up somewhere and call for a few minutes, and then just sit for five or ten minutes. Then try again. If no action within a half-hour, either I'm messing up somehow or Ol' Wiley is out of earshot.

If one shows up and gets shot, my guess is that there's not much point in working the area for at least half an hour, but I guess that would vary with the country and the number of coyotes around. I wouldn't just run out to see what I shot, if I were going to stay and continue to work the area.

Shoot; sit still for at least 10 or 15 minutes; try calling again; if no action, wait five or so more minutes before collecting your trophy and moving out.

There's just not a lot of "always". :)

Art

Oh: http://www.varminter.com has a bunch of guys who know a heckuva lot about calling varmints.

In North Florida, we have been seeing coyotes a lot recently. I have taken several, not while varmint hunting, but just running across them by accident late in the afternoon.

Of the two I killed last, one was dispatched with my Marlin .22 mag, while out late season squirrel hunting, and the other with a load of 12 Ga. #2 shot at pretty darn close range.

Back