cowboy shooting-what's a shoot like?

canuck2

Inactive
Lever action centre fire "plinking" has always appealed to me; 10-15 years ago I put thousands of light loads (100 gr plinkers) through a pair of Marlins before ever joining a club....sold 'em to pay for benchrest stuff which I'm not so hot on now. So now I bought Marlin carbine in .357 Mag and am ready to go again. It shoots OK with scope so I'm mounting a Williams peep. I hear a bit about Cowboy shooting but not much up here.
Can someone take time for a brief description of layout and rules of competition and what best way to practice for this game in the absence of a shoot around here? Just offhand practice with fast mount and sight time?
Thanks,
Ed

Thanks for reply; I'll check those sites out. I'm in South Western Ontario, say about and hour north of Buffalo, Kitchener area. Started getting some offhand practice weekly with the .22 silhoutte shooters here. Couple of our best do well at 500m centre-fire silhouette near Kane, Pa.
Yesterday cranked 150 through the .357 Marlin and Ruger M77/44. The latter is a treat to shoot but 700 rounds through her and many systematic powder/bullet combos, bbl floating, 2.5lb trigger still won't make it shoot very well at all. Fun to shoot with 240 gr gaschecks and 4198 works better than W296, H110, IMR4227 and H2400, just barely accurate enough to enjoy offhand at 50yds with 5X scope!

well, in CAS you don't do much beyond maybe 50 yards... esp with the rifle.. we do have some of our lot who are getting into CAS Shilloette (or however it's spelled) I am pretty sure there is a CAS group or two in Southern Ontario, there is a way to check on the SASS site...

I'm not sure I'll find a cowboy shoot to check out right away, though a second club I just joined is apparently going to try to get some "Western" shooting going as they had a few years ago. Recent federal law here has all targets in bunkers. Do your cowboy shoots have knock-down targets that pop-up? If so, in a random order? Are you timed on successful knockdown of all targets? Or are they "scored" targets? Is there a limit on number of rounds fired if you miss i.e. can you shoot again?
Thanks for info,
Ed

well, our group uses a mix, mostly "bang and clang".. steel cutout that you shoot and they go "clang", some shotgun "bells" (compressed gas tanks cut down). differnt shapes at different distances.. some are swingers, some are poppers, all sorts..

you may want to check
http://www.sassnet.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi

thats the forum for the Single Action Shooting Society Corporatiion

Sounds like fun. I was hooked on benchrest for a while but there's so DARN much setting up, loading, cleaning and then you've gotta be a bridge player to remember the wind flags well enough to stay in the top half! Bang and clang fits me better but I've learned the expensive way not to sell the other stuff, not YET!
Regards, Ed

Back