Cowboy Match

BikerRN

I shot my first "Cowboy Action Shooting" match yesterday and had a BLAST!

I had the guns, but no holsters, and ammo belt. Not to worry, one of the nice folks at the range let me borrow his gear and I used my guns. It turned out that he was a multi-time State Champ!

Wow, try getting some "big name" IPSC shooter to loan you gear, let alone even talk to you. I'm hooked, the attitude of the people and the fun will bring me back for sure.

I ended up placing fourth, and even got a cool little pin too. :) I got another pin that means even more to me, but it also proves what I've always said, "Accuracy Is Final". The pin was a "Clean Shoot" pin. :D

I ordered some holsters today and took my Shotgun in for an "Action Job". Now I have to start getting the proper period clothing. Yesterday I wore my jeans, boots and spurs, with my chinks, along with a homemade shirt and hat. Those are my "working clothes" when I'm at the ranch.

Biker

Sounds like a good time. I was looking at a Ruger vaqueo a few weeks back at Sportsmans warehouse and the fellow next to me commented on what nice guns they are and how he does some of the cowboy shooting events. He seemed very nice and encouraged me to give it a try. I didn't pay him much attention other than polite conversation but I wish I had gotten some more info from him about where they do that around here. It really does sound like fun.

Do a Google search for "Cowboy Action Shooting" and click on the SASS link. That will get you to a website that will connect you with all the SASS Clubs.

Around here I could shoot every weekend, if I didn't have to work for a living. From what I've expirienced it's great and a great bunch of people. I have two Stainless Ruger New Vaqueros. They are built like a tank. I love my Colt SAA, but for economy and reliability I think the Ruger is the way to go.

I'd also recommend that you shoot 38 SPL out of a 357 Ruger, it's a lot cheaper than 45 LC. My Rifle is a 38 SPL Lever Action Rifle by Uberti. It's probably my most exspensive item, but worth it. My Bakial "Coach Gun" is fun to shoot, and didn't break the bank to buy either.

Give it a try, I'll bet you have a blast too!

Biker

While .32's and.38's are definitely the most economical, the larger diameter .44's and .45's can often make the difference between a hit or miss, and the extra mass comes in handy on knock downs or the Texas Star. One thing a lot of folks don't know about SASS legal cartridges is they don't have to be "period correct". All the rule book says is:
Must be centerfire calibers of at least .32 caliber and no larger than .45 caliber or percussion calibers of at least .36 caliber and no larger than .45 caliber.
Must be in a caliber commonly available in revolvers. Examples include, but are not limited to, .32-20, .32 Magnum, .357 Magnum, .38 Special, .44 Magnum, .44-40, and .45 Colt.

The only category that specifies a rimmed cartridge is Classic Cowboy, and none of the classes mention "period correct" at all, so, in addition to my .38's and .44-40's, I've also started using .45acp's in convertible cylinders in some of my .45 Colt revolvers, even with black powder and especially with smokeless due to the much more efficient case capacity with smokeless powders. 3.7-4.1 grains of Trail Boss in a .45acp case with a 200 grain bullet feels very similar to light 158 grain .38 spl loads and is amazingly accurate. (The odd weight range is simply because my RCBS Little Dandy rotor set throws 4.1 grains of TB with #15 and 3.7 grains with #14.) .38 specials and .45acp cases use the same volume of black powder, so the savings, as opposed to .45 Colts with BP, is substantial. .45 auto rim cartridges would be perfect if you wanted to chuck .45acp cylinders in a lathe and take a few thousandths off so the thicker rims would fit. The new Cowboy .45 Special is essentially a .45AR with a thinner rim so it fits existing .45 Colt cylinders. All three; .45acp, .45AR, and the .45 Special have the same ~.895" overall length.

Whew, and after all that, I'd still have to say the .44 magnum cartridge is probably the best overall chambering for the game. The reduced case capacity, as opposed to the .45 Colt, makes it much more efficient with light loads, the larger diameter and extra mass are desirable for knock downs, cast bullets are available down to 180 grains or less if you want to go the "gamer" route, and using .44 spl cases only adds to the efficiency using light smokeless loads.

Check out the SASS Wire too. I go by J. Bar Binks, SASS #47015

Dang, clean match on yer first shoot!
'course I hadda go and do something challenging like shooting (double) duelist in every match so far :D

Back