Cowboy holster question

I've seen a number of cowboy style (or movie cowboy style) holsters for single action revolvers that have a rawhide loop that gets put around the hammer to prevent the firearm from departing the holster when riding. Is there any proper name for that loop?

Another function of the hammer thong is to prevent the hammer from lifting if it is caught by something. If the hammer on a traditional SAA is partially lifted and falls on a loaded chamber, it could fire.

Doc; I don't have a dirty mind; They'r your dirty pictures

The origin of the word thong in the English language is from Old English þwong, a flexible leather cord.
As in so many cases, some words start out innocently enough and "we" evolve them into dirty ones. ...... :eek:
There are times while teaching muzzleloading classes I have to push right through some words and still keep a strait face. Can't help noticing some expressions out of the corner of my eye. .... :rolleyes:

Be Safe !!!

Last edited:
Well, I just made a horizontal cross draw holster for my 1875 Remington 5" barrel Outlaw. I got the 3" long belt loop not quite at enough angle, it's too horizontal. With my big belly the gun wants to get loose and I'm afraid it'll drop out, so I'm gonna have to make some kind of hammer loop. Right now I'm looking on the internet at holsters with them trying to get some ideas. It did seem more comfortable to wear and easier to hide [ I have a CC license ] than a straight holster. I hate even thinking about sewing up another holster - these 74 year old arthritic hands just don't like it anymore. They hurt for a day or so when I got done. Gonna try and live with this one.

As in so many cases, some words start out innocently enough and "we" evolve them into dirty ones. ...... :eek:
There are times while teaching muzzleloading classes I have to push right through some words and still keep a strait face. Can't help noticing some expressions out of the corner of my eye. .... :rolleyes:

Be Safe !!!
Back in the day revolver nipples were called cones. I don't know when it got changed.

Howdy

Never stopped to think too much about what they are called. Thong, loop, it really does not matter. One thing we have to be careful of before we approach the firing line at a CAS match is to make sure it is undone. This style is adjustable by pulling on the loose ends to tighten or loosen it.

pnzZ1ghTj

poCKGiMFj

I had a pair of Slim Jim holsters made for my New Model Number Threes. The loop is standard on that model.

pmUW6ajAj

Well, I just made a horizontal cross draw holster for my 1875 Remington 5" barrel Outlaw. I got the 3" long belt loop not quite at enough angle, it's too horizontal. With my big belly the gun wants to get loose and I'm afraid it'll drop out, so I'm gonna have to make some kind of hammer loop.

Which is exactly why a horizontal holster is a bad idea.

"...Thong, loop, it really does not matter...." Absolutely. The loop thingy('thingy' being a technical term), isn't raw hide though. It's just a lace. Lotta high priced holsters use a decorated tab of the same leather as the holster.

Back