Cowboy action advice needed please.

bspillman

I'm looking to get into my first single action cowboy type revolver. I've owned handguns my whole life and I'm also in Law Enforcement so I have training with several different types of weapons. I'm looking to do this for recreation purposes only no competition. I know Ruger or colt make the best but are there any sleepers out there as for quality and reliability. I'm looking only to get into 357 or 45LC. Thanks in advance.

Howdy

Ruger and Colt are the only companies in the US making traditional style single action revolvers. There was another company called United States Fire Arms that made excellent copies of the Single Action Army, but they are no longer being produced.

There are two companies in Italy that make very good reproductions of the Colt. Uberti and Pietta. These revolvers are imported into the US by several importers, including Taylors and Cimarron.

http://www.taylorsfirearms.com/

http://www.cimarron-firearms.com/

Dixie Gunworks also imports some of these firearms.

https://dixiegunworks.com/

There are more importers, but those will give you a start.

I'm a big fan of the Ruger single actions. Note that they basically have two frame sizes, the standard Blackhawk that is fairly large (larger than a SAA) and a slightly smaller one that is closer to the original. I have one of each, the large frame in .45 Colt and the smaller frame in .44 Special. The smaller one, most recently represented by the "New Vaquero", is available in the calibers you want. It's only limitation is that it can't handle the "Ruger only" .45s that some of us load. If fun is your goal, you don't want to bother with those knuckle busters anyway. I like both, but favor the handy smaller frame.

Colts are wonderful, and those folks are very proud of them. Worth the money? Only you can say. The USFA copies mentioned can be found used. Also pricey, but considered by many the best replica.

I got a Cimarron (made by Uberti) Model P last year. Completely traditional (4 clicks, you know), very nicely finished and a great shooter. The Italian copies are the least expensive, of course.

I'm looking to do this for recreation purposes only no competition.

Ruger Blackhawk. The Vaquero's look more "cowboy" but the adjustable sight of the Blackhawk is a big advantage.

I would get the .45 LC-.45 ACP convertible.
.45 has a better balance than the .357 with its small holes in barrel and cylinder and ACP ammo is much more common and cheaper than LC. Much much more common and cheaper for me, it rolls out of the Dillon every time I pull the handle.

There are two versions, the NM Blackhawk on the .44 Magnum frame, which has the supposed advantage of handling grossly overloaded .45 LC, and the "Flattop" which is close to the original .357 frame size and will "only" handle moderately overloaded .45 LC.
http://ruger.com/products/newModelBlackhawkConvertible/specSheets/0463.html
http://ruger.com/products/newModelBlackhawkConvertible/specSheets/5240.html

I have the original Vaquero in 45 Colt, the one that can take the hotter loads than the New Vaquero. While the 45 Colt is a great cartridge, it's not for everyone, as one needs to understand correctly which ammo is appropriate for which revolver in a more complex way than if you simply had the 357 Magnum. I have been with the 45 Colt since 1973 and thoroughly understand it. However, many shooters could find it a bit confusing and would probably be better served with a 357 magnum or even a 44 magnum. I do think the 45 Colt is a potentially better cartridge than either of the Magnums, if you take the time to understand it well and feed it correctly. All of them are better with handloaded ammo. If you can get a convertible 45, the one with the extra cylinder for 45 ACP, I'd say go for it.

I completely concur with Jim Watson and Pathfinder on the Blackhawk convertible. I would note however that Davidson's has offered a mid-frame New Vaquero as a 45 convertible with an extra 45 acp cylinder. Currently it is offered in stainless only. I have a pair and really like them. Still, if I had to choose, the standard Blackhawk convertible, large frame, blued, alloy grip frame would be my choice.

Davidson's is currently showing out of stock on convertible Vaqueros and Blackhawks but I'm sure some are out there

I have both the .45 convertible full size blackhawk, and the new vaquero in .45 colt. The sights are easier to see on the blackhawk. The vaquero looks and feels more traditional. I shoot mostly .45 acp out of my blackhawk, and it is extremely accurate. I give the blackhawk the edge for shooting fun. The smaller all steel vaquero looks a little cooler but it is much harder to see the sights and shoot accurately.

IMO the Ruger Vaquero makes sense. Not rare, not hard to buy, not real expensive, not real fragile, looks close enough for historical accuracy.

I have owned several Italian clones and they were good. They would work as well although not as bulletproof as the Ruger.

Shooting a genuine Colt would demonstrate a level of panache and sophistication. But they are pricey, hard to find, and more fragile than the Ruger. Were I still doing SASS type shooting I admit that I would likely use one of my Colts. But I am a little crazy that way.

It's true, the adjustable sights of the Blackhawk are more convenient for sighting in and changing the adjustment for different loads. However, I prefer the fixed rear sight of the Vaquero for its smoother handling characteristics. The front sight is where I made my adjustments with a file, a short piece of round brass rod, and some silversolder. Those adjustments are semi-permanent. But for me, it doesn't matter if I am shooting a low velocity target load, or a high velocity load; the sights remain correct as long as the bullet weight remains the same or close to it. Only the end of the brass rod is visable, appearing on top of the sight as a round brass bead, filed rough and painted with a high-disability nail polish.

bspillman: First off I am a real Ruger Fan. And really don`t own very many other S/A handguns other than Rugers. I have tried them but always go back to to the Rugers. And IMHO you would be hard pressed to beat a Ruger Blackhawk or even a Original Vaquero in 45LC. I have a pair of Ruger Original Vaquero`s in 38SPL/357MAG and they shoot very well. But I just don`t shoot them all that much. I prefer to shoot one of my 45LC`s in either a Blackhawk or the Original Vaquero`s. I do not own a New Ruger Vaquero so I can`t help You there. If I read your post right, I would think a Ruger Blackhawk Convertible in 45LC/45ACP with the two cylinders, and the adjustable sights, would be just about perfect for You. It is like owning two separate handguns that shoot the same. My first Ruger was a Blackhawk Convertible in 45LC/45ACP with a 7 1/2 inch barrel. And I bought it in 1971. I have always like long barreled Ruger Handguns to hunt, shoot targets, or just walking around just plinking with. It is my favorite of all my handguns and I have shot it 1000`s of times in both 45LC & 45ACP. And it still shoots as well now as it did when it was new. I have never had a single problem with any of my Rugers Handguns and I own several. Their the best choice in S/A Handgun`s for Me. Good Luck in Your choice.
ken

From what I've heard the vaqueros are recommended due to their durability but are less historically accurate.

Of course colt is the historically correct way to go but at $1200-$1500 for a new gen 3 they are pricey. I think most comps want you to have two pistols so that's a lot money to lay out.

The Taylor & co and Cimarron guns are colt replicas and have the colt 4 clicks. They are either pietta or uberti imports depending on the model.

I just picked up a cimarron frontier made by pietta. It's really nice. The case hardening looks better in real life than some pics you'll see online. I got the 5.5" barrel in .357 for $460 so they are reasonably priced.

Again 45 colt would be more historically accurate but unless you reload it is expensive. .357 is half as much and you can choose to shoot .38 special for low recoil if you choose.

An option for some of the 45 colt guns is that they also come with a .45acp cylinder. So you can shoot less expensive .45 if you choose. I don't know how much extras this costs but if I was going to get a 45 colt I think I would want this.

Last edited:
Back