Course to make me a better pistol shot?

Prof Young

Shooters:
Is there an Appleseed kind of course for pistols? I'm reading books and posts and am learning a lot about how to shoot a handgun well, but think some live training would make a huge difference. So . . . What handguns courses are out there. I live in the mid west and am willing to travel.

Talk to me . . .

Live well, be safe
Prof Young

go to your local gun shop and inquire whether there are any clubs or ranges in your area. Most clubs and ranges have some sort of introductory lessons.

Also, if your local law enforcement offers course in concealed carry, they might offer some courses for the public.

Of course there are the larger schools, but it's always better to have a little knowledge and training before attending those expensive schools so that you can benefit the most. A rank beginner would mostly get confused with the amount of information some of those schools might give out.

Tell us what level you are at, and you will get better advice.

Lots of ways to go but one of the easiest and low cost ways is to simply show up and drop-in at a local IDPA match. Plenty of folks are more than happy to welcome a new shooter to the event and you can learn a whole lot and the familiarity and practice of it will follow you to any courses you find, schedule, pay for and attend.

Professor, I think you need to be more specific about what you mean by "shoot better." When I read that, I interpret it to mean increased accuracy -- putting more holes closer to the center of the bullseye. You WON'T get any help with that at a concealed carry course, at a tactical shooting course, or by shooting in IDPA or IPSC.

The NRA used to have marksmanship coaches. Contact the NRA and ask if there are any such critters in your part of the world. Failing that, see if there's a bullseye shooting league anywhere near you, and possibly you can find a bullseye shooter to coach you.

Basically, though, it comes down to practice. But not sloppy practice. "Practice makes perfect" is an incorrect expression, because practicing poor form ingrains poor form. It should be "Perfect practice makes perfect performance."

Sight picture --> breathe --> squeeze.

Last edited:
You WON'T get sany help with that at a concealed carry course,

Your totally wrong about that statement. The class this past weekend was very much about increasing the permit holder's accuracy, emphasizing 5 shot one hole drills, sight alignment, precision drills as well as gun manipulations.

Why, because we are responsible for every bullet, so any misses are, well, to put it mildly, NOT GOOD! So accuracy is very much emphasized at concealed carry classes.

The first class is a mandatory two day class and since many applicants are not expected to be expert shots, there is increased range time for new shooters to teach them the basics of accuracy.

Sight alignement, trigger press, follow through are all elements taught in these classes.

And of course range safety is strictly emphasized.

And since the shooting qualifications follow on the second day, accuracy is mandatory for passing the shooting qualifications. Any miss and you are disqualified, so accuracy is very much inherent in CCW classes.
A reasonable amount of accuracy is required to get your permit.

Whatever course or training you settle on, I recommend starting with a revolver. The long DA trigger pull of a revolver teaches trigger control better than anything else in my opinion. (And don't get me wrong, I love shooting pistols.)

Which one depends on where you're starting from.

Some of us have been used to shooting slow tight groups our whole life and need a little push for faster shooting.

If you've never taken *any class/course before, I would start with one that really irons in the fundamentals for pistol. I took NRA first steps with a local instructor when I was in Georgia. I just googled for instructors in the area. It doesn't sound glamorous but it was great. We arranged it so it was just my wife and I, some diagrams, videos, discussion with hands on, dry fire, SIRT laser pistol, range time.

If you skip the fundamentals and jump into competition, you may start chasing faster times and better scores without knowing how, except "try harder". That would be so frustrating to me.

HighValleyRanch said:
You WON'T get sany help with that at a concealed carry course,
Your totally wrong about that statement. The class this past weekend was very much about increasing the permit holder's accuracy, emphasizing 5 shot one hole drills, sight alignment, precision drills as well as gun manipulations.
Further proof that location matters. The required course for a carry permit in my state is the NRA Basic Pistol class. I am an NRA certified instructor for that class. It teaches gun safety. It teaches how to shoot safely, it does NOT teach how to shoot well.

If the required carry permit class for some states includes marksmanship, color me surprised.

Professor, I think you need to be more specific about what you mean by "shoot better." When I read that, I interpret it to mean increased accuracy -- putting more holes closer to the center of the bullseye. You WON'T get any help with that at a concealed carry course, at a tactical shooting course, or by shooting in IDPA or IPSC.

The NRA used to have marksmanship coaches. Contact the NRA and ask if there are any such critters in your part of the world. Failing that, see if there's a bullseye shooting league anywhere near you, and possibly you can find a bullseye shooter to coach you.

Basically, though, it comes down to practice. But not sloppy practice. "Practice makes perfect" is an incorrect expression, because practicing poor form ingrains poor form. It should be "Perfect practice makes perfect performance."

Also google up in your area
1. local ranges classes on beginner handgun and shooter proficiency. Local ranges may also offer or have a link with persons who can provide moderately priced direct one on one work. Thats an avenue people forget about.
2. shooting classes in your area. If you're willing to drive there might be an excellent location in your area that offers a variety of classes of both tactical and regular shooting. I'd steer towards classes like "beginner handgun "intermediate handgun" etc.
3. There are excellent training dvds on the market (or videos). While not as good as one on one, its an additional source for help.

Instructors and schools run the gamut of - almost a waste of time - to very good. Some teach to the lowest level of experience in the room ...some try and group students based on their experience and skill levels. Instructors vary a lot as well...some are just blowhards, some are folks that can really shoot but can't coach or teach a lick --- some communicate really well !

All of the advanced schools - will require some kind of pre-requisites in order to take their intensive or advanced skills courses. You may have to take the basic class, from them only, first --- and then come back --- or maybe they will let you submit some info on a local class - it varies by school or company.

There are a number of National Schools....Gunsite, Front Sight, Insights Training Center LLC, Sig Sauer Academy and Thunder Ranch are the ones that I'm familiar with ...or have buddies that have attended the schools/ but here is a sight that claims to list most of them around the country...

http://www.martialfirearmstraining.com/

Don't make any assumptions about what gun you should use or buy ...until you talk to some of the schools you may like to attend / or a local instructor, etc...---- everyone has their personal preference for a carry gun, size, weight, caliber, etc..../ you may want to find a good local class....

As an example...

a. Basic Defensive handgun...may not focus primarily on accuracy / it may focus more on speed, the legal side, etc...but from InSights Training Center LLC its a 2 day course ( 9 - 6 ) $ 450 per student plus 12 boxes of ammo so call it $ 630 for the class.

b. Intensive handgun Skills may be what you want ....and at Insights Training Center LLC it is ( from their catalog online :)

$750 per student plus 40 boxes of FMJ ammo ( $ 600 ) = $ 1,350....

This is a "shooters" course with maximum range time. The course stresses accuracy and speed but not speed at the expense of accuracy. The course will include equal amounts of paper and steel shooting. The principles of economy of motion and economy of time will be stressed throughout. Then on the third day the student will be put under stress through the use of time constraints and man on man competition.

Also included are long-range exercises, barricade drills, movement, shooting while moving, and moving targets. This is a perfect course for the shooter who wants to maximize their use of the handgun for self-defense or the competitive shooter who could use fine-tuning of their technique. After this course you will be shooting faster and with a greater degree of accuracy than ever before.

This course is a modified and updated version of the course taught to Government and Military Special Operations Personnel and draws heavily on techniques learned from the best shooters in the world. (J. Michael Plaxco's book is highly suggested reading for the course.)

Guaranteed! You will see a giant improvement in your speed and accuracy after completing this course!

Prerequisites:
General Defensive Handgun or equivalent and Concealed Weapons Permit

Required Equipment:
Reliable, functional handgun; Belt holster (rigid) with sturdy belt; 2000 rounds of brass-cased FMJ ammunition (minimum); 3 magazines or speed loaders; Hearing and eye protection; Electronic timer (if you have one)

----------------
Ultimately it depends on what you need...or maybe a good local instructor that can work with you one on one.../ in my area that's about $ 100 an hour..plus your range expenses../ fees and 8 boxes probably.....
-----------------
As an example...my buddies wife and one of her girlfriends...were new to shooting ...and they didn't want to listen to him or me...except for just the basics. They hated the idea of a big class...wanted something specific for them. We helped them find a woman who was teaching local classes...and she helped them on a specific set of skills that they wanted....( draw from concealment of a purse, double taps, etc --- reloading skills --- ) just solid basic stuff...stance, grip, technique. She charged them $ 150 an hour - they saw her once a week for 4 weeks...they each spent about $1,000 on fees and ammo with her..../ as they learn, or read, or need help again...they can contact her down the road....but it was an affordable option...and easy to schedule. They used guns from my buddies collection as well as mine.../ they went thru every gun in the range rental case in both 9mm and .380 ( spent another $ 300 on that ) ...they have each purchased their own guns - that fit their hands well ...and are shooting with us at the range most weeks now - running Tactical Drills.

boncrayon said:
Your basic NRA Pistol Instruction is all you need. You can download a PowerPoint that tells all you would need besides "practice". The basics include grip, stance, aim, breathing, eye dominance, and and a slew of important information on the rules of "safety."

http://tkallc.com/wp-content/uploads...rst-Steps1.pdf
Your link takes you to what some trainer calls "NRA First Steps Pistol Course." The problem is, what's presented in his syllabus is NOT the NRA First Steps class.

From the NRA's web site:

Name : NRA FIRST Steps Pistol Orientation

Short Description : Firearm Instruction, Responsibility, and Safety Training — is the NRA’s response to the American public’s need for a firearm orientation program for new purchasers.

More Details: NRA FIRST Steps Pistol is designed to provide a hands-on introduction to the safe handling and proper orientation to one specific pistol action type for classes of four or fewer students. This course is at least three hours long and includes classroom and range time learning to shoot a specific pistol action type. Students will learn the NRA’s rules for safe gun handling; the particular pistol model parts and operation; ammunition; shooting fundamentals; cleaning the pistol; and continued opportunities for skill development. Students will receive the Basics of Pistol Shooting handbook, NRA Gun Safety Rules brochure, Winchester/NRA Marksmanship Qualification booklet, FIRST Steps Course completion certificate.

I'm also certified to teach First Steps. It's not a marksmanship course. It's not even a true safety course -- my state does not accept it as qualifying for a carry permit. First Steps is, and is intended to be, nothing more than a familiarization with one particular type of pistol. That's why the NRA's description refers to it as an "introduction" and an "orientation."

The link segues into a slide presentation for the NRA Basic Pistol class. Then the presentation moves into a bunch of information put together by the trainer and specific to Virginia. According to NRA instructor standards, he should NOT be promoting this class as an NRA class -- because it isn't.

I would be very hesitant to put any faith in an instructor who doesn't even know what class he's presenting.

Last edited:
Aguila,

I didn't feel like our First Steps was limited at all. Before we started the instructor chatted with us to get an idea of the pace of the class and since we were already pretty well into firearms he may have covered more ground, more techniques. We chose to learn on semi-autos during the class part, started with his pistols at the range, but after he was satisfied he coached us with our own personal firearms. It turns out that he really was an enthusiastic coach (used to teach pistol marksmanship for the Army), and still emails his prior students the latest that he discovers regarding shooting, self defense and the law. He also would send periodic emails stating when he would be at the range available to give some free instruction. If any body is near Atlanta i would give Stone Mountain Firearms Training Center a look. The range we used was pretty rudimentary then (a few years ago), but Mac (or Mack?) was dedicated. Here is to hoping you find someone like this.

After you get through the course find a place where it is legal to shoot that has an irrigation ditch. I spent a lot of time shooting bottles and cans floating in the currant in a high banked irrigation ditch.

Thanks for all the info and advice . . .

Thanks for all the info and advice.
By "shoot better" I simply mean I want the bullet to go where I'm aiming. I seem to be able to do that reasonably well with my rifles but not so much with my pistols, especially my larger caliber handguns.

I'll spend some time with all the info you have posted and go from there. Thanks again.

Live well, be safe
Prof Young

Back