Couple of questions

Missoura Don

Howdy all...I know these questions are common knowledge to most of ya...But...Im lookin at pics of original 1860 Army's, and they show a groove cut into the nipple loading area,,,is this groove cut for a capper? I bought a new Army yesterday:D (PIEATTA) and no groove, and dont notice any grooves like that on the repros...Also...."Cylinder has never been turned".. How can someone know if the cylinder has never been turned...or...does that mean it doesnt have the "line" from the bolt wearing into the cylinder? Thanks guys....Im just a wonderin!!!

Original:
attachment.php

Uberti"
attachment.php

both have it

Last edited:
Oh, and Uberti pistols do have the groove in the cap loading area, but the Piettas do not. That is why your Colt Army doens't have the channel ground into it.

My guess to the, "cylinder has never been turned," thing is that means there is no line on the cylinder from the cylinder stop lug dragging over it's surface. Just like you said.

For what is worth I do not think that Colts ever really drag on the cylinder. Only Remingtons do that. At least my Ruger does, and it is closer to a Remington clone than a Colt.

I also forgot to mention that the groove for the caps is probably NOT for a capper of some kind. The groove is just an aid for bare handed capping of the percussion cones. Fiddle around with your fingers and get the little cap into the groove, then run it slip it down to the cylinder and onto the cone.

One thing to also know about your new pistol. The Pietta .44 caliber 1851 Navy is just an 1860 Army with an octagon barrel, and thus made to look like the older '51 Navy .36 caliber. The giveaway to recognise that is the two step cylinder that has a larger diameter front half (it is also stepped down inside the chambers as well). The .36 Navy has a straight cylinder. Why is that important? You can get spare parts for your 1860 Army by either buying 1860 Army parts, or if that doesn't work you can use .44 caliber 1851 Navy as well since from the cylinder and on back from there they are the same gun.

The flip side of that is you see about buying the barrel and loading lever assembly of a Pietta .44 caliber 1851 Navy and mount it to your pistol and have your choice of designs you want to play with, and not pay full price for a Pietta Navy '51.

Last edited:
Back