Could this work?

priv8ter

There is a chance that I might find myself living in Northern New England sometime in the future, and I admit that Whitetails, both the animals and the methods of hunting them are a mystery to me. I infinetly desire to own some kind of short action rifle(carbine) in a pistol caliber. What I am wondering is, could a lever action .357 rifle work for whitetails? I know, a .44 rifle would probably be better, but, I already have permission to buy a .357 revolver, and really don't want a .44 revolver. Call me wimpy.

I think the 357 makes a decent SHORT range rifle for average sized deer. I have no experience with hunting the larger deer of the north, so am a bit reluctant to fully endorse the idea. Probably depends on your hunting style and patientce level. If you do try it, go with the heavier bullets.

From the photos and stories in the hunting/fishing mags, deer dressing out over 200 pounds aren't unusual in that northern country.

Looks like fairly heavy cover, mostly, and fairly shrot range shots. I'd guess a handy carbine with a good bit more than any pistol cartridge would be a start.

Just guessin',

Art

I own a Marlin 357 rifle. As long as distances are kept reasonable and you use heavier bullets, you should do alright. I use 170 grain bullets in mine.

I have both a .357 and .44 lever action.

The .357 works fine with bullets heavier than 158 grains from a rifle. With a good, tough bullet like the 180 grain Hornady XTP or 180+ hardcast such as Federal's 180 grain CastCore ammunition moving out of a carbine at over 1,500 fps you have plenty for deer with broadside shots.

The load of 14.4 grains H110 behind a 180 grain XTP produces 1,460 fps from my 16.25" Marlin and penetrates 6 milk jugs full of water while expanding to .674". That's excellent penetration. If you want anymore penetration then go with hardcast.

Plus it's an inexpensive, fun gun at the range with cheap .38 specials.

Here is an excellent thread on the subject, have fun:

http://beartoothbullets.com/cgi-bin...c9ca9fc538fffff;act=ST;f=5;t=220;hl=57+lever%

Kilgor

thanks

Well, thanks for everyone's input. I'll tell you Zorro, I would love to get a .44. I've got one of those new Ruger autoloaders on my list, it's just after the baby's crib...
So many toys, so little money

Back