Costuming reference

saintdavid

Looking at CAS and wondering if anyone knows of a source or references of dress and names of Scottish persons during this era. I would appreciate written descriptions, pictures, and where they could be found. Thanks.

David Robinson
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

------------------

Howdy,

Don't know about Scottish,but British Imperial uniforms,like those used at Rourke's Drift,would be pretty cool. If you've ever seen the movie "Zulu",you know what I mean. You'd have to modify the weapons you use(no Martini-Henry's or Webleys),but British adventurers weren't uncommon in the Old West.

Bellicose Bill

Saintdavid, western expansion probably really got its start with the Scotch-Irish western expansion, followed by the English and Germans. The Scotch-Irish farmers of Draper's Meadows, Virginia were some of the first pioneers to push west into that virgin land of TN and KY. You had early pioneers like William Ingles and John Draper. Ulster Scots were a plenty.The Scots had refused to countenance pork during their century in Ulster. But life on the frontier soon changed their ways. Pigs were prized in the new frontier. The story of the Irish-Scots expansion into the west is interesting. But it takes all the fun out if I tell you everything. Good luck cowboy.

Back