Cost of cut and crowning a nagant

Fox84

How much would a gunsmith charge to cut a 91/30 to 22 inches and recrown? I would consider the task but the tools aren't cheap.

hers a sample of a smith's costs, but they could be all over the map

Shorten and crown barrels of Rem. 760, 740;
Savage 99; Win. 100 and 88
(or any rifle barrel under 18") $150.00
Shorten and crown rifle barrels other than above 65.00
Cut and crown shotguns and re-install bead 65.00
Cut, crown and install bead on double barrel 75.00

I had a few old surplus guns that needed to be recrowned, so I bought the tool and did it myself. There are different levels of tools. I bought the basic set from brownell's for around $100. For another $100 or so I could have the fancy option to do a better job.

It is actually surprisingly easy, and the results are good.

-TL

You can do surprisingly well with a hacksaw and files and a small toolmaker's square, if you know how to use them. M. L. McPherson has been known to do this when trimming a barrel at the range. You can use a small hose clamp as a guide through most of the cut, then the square and draw filing to clean the cut flat. I have a lathe, so I don't need to do that. Nonetheless, I cut the crowns themselves by ball lapping them, as this self-centers in the bore. A little Oxpho-blue to dress the color at the end and you are good to go.

I did exactly what Unclenick mentions on a Win. 70 .30-06 I got for a song because it had a ringed (bulged) bore about an inch back from the muzzle on its 22" barrel. Cut it to 20" long then squared it off as best I could with a file. Borrowed an M1 Garand crowning tool to clean up the land/groove edges. Shot M72 match ammo quite well; much better than before. Bambi's Daddy didn't know the difference when the bullet it shot took him down.

What UncleNick described can be done. We used to cut our decorative crown on the lathe and then used a hand tool for the actual crown.

^^good point. I scoped my mosin so I didn't care about the front sight. wouldn't be too hard to put a new sight on, but would likely double the price. I bought on of the receiver mounted scope rails for like 20$, but that also takes some decent tooling to install correctly.

I have used this method several times when I didn’t have enough room between the end of the muzzle and the front sight to use a hacksaw.
You can take the barreled action and place the muzzle on the side of a bench grinder wheel and take off enough metal to get a new crown. The grinding stone must be flat.
If it is not, a new stone at Harbor Freight is pretty cheap.
Once you have removed enough of the old crown ,use a good file to square the muzzle up and then lap in the new crown.
I needle file can be used to clean up any burs in the lands and groves it needed.
You just need to remove enough of the old crown to get a new crown lapped in.
I have seen people take over 1/3 inch off thinking that what it took to get a new crown.

Yes, if all he wants is a new crown, the just flattened the end ouy and start over but i think he saod he wants the barrel shortened. Prob cause its about impossibe to find a gun bag to fit a mosin, i took about 3" off and still cany get it in my huge backpack gun bag, what a pain

I actually want to cut at 22 inches and install a rock solid scope mount as well. I might just take a whack at it myself. It's just a old nag.

I might just take a whack at it myself. It's just a old nag.
It's really not hard to do, and even if you somehow manage to "ruin" it, you still have the option of sending it to a professional.

All you can possibly lose is some time

This is how I did my 98 Mauser.
I cut it with a pipe cutter.
I filed it flat, then used a large drill bit with a shallow cut. I don't know the angle it was.
I used a carriage bolt with a top that was larger than the barrel. I drilled the end and force threaded a machine screw. I ran it with a battery operated hand drill. Emory paste to start right on the bolt head. After it was shaped right I did the same with jewelers paste. Then I used a polisher (on the drill) from my dremmel with the jewelers paste.

It looks off center, but that is the shadowing due to my poor photography.
TP

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
Back