Cost of a new SW 642 or 442

Redlg155

I called two of my local dealers to check to see if they had a used S&W Mod 642 or 442, and unfortunately they did not. They did quote me a price for a new one...$470 for a New 642 from one dealer and $499 from the other dealer.(Oh..that's his sale price. He wanted $550 normally).

Now I haven't purchased a new revolver in quite some time and I'm still looking for a used Smith...but have the prices gone up that much!!?

The last time I bought a 642 I paid $350 for the thing. I think that was about 5 years ago.

I want a revolver to replace the P32 I got rid of for a "Dog walking" gun, but I'm finding it hard to even think of paying close to that much for a revolver.

Good Shooting
RED

auction boards

I've bought TONS of guns on the internet in recent years and ONLY use sellers that have more than 10 positive feedbacks and NO negatives. I always mail several times prior to bidding to get a feel for the seller and ask for a phone number. I have yet to be burnt. :cool: I do buy my Smith & Wesson PC guns new,however. I've seen AsNew 442s for 325 to 350. I just bought a Like New 332 w/dies,brass,100 bullets and w/all paperwork and warranty card for $395 shipped. I DON'T EVEN WANT to KNOW what the dealers want for one ! BEST...dewey

I'm not understanding how revolver prices went up so much. For that much I'm starting to get into BHP territory. I could even get a new 1911 for that much!

But then I might say the heck with it and get me a new Springfield Armory 1911...hmmmm..food for thought.

Good Shooting
RED

Smith is spending money on developement of two seperate "smart gun" technologies. Plus the expense of paying their government overseer.......and the percentage of sales commited to "firearms education"

Buyers of new Smiths have the priviledge of paying extra for the infamaous agreement.

Sam

Local dealer wants $445 for the 442. He might drop a few bucks, a little more with multiple purchases. For whatever that's worth.

I'm going to look around because I DO NOT want to contribute to Smith by buying a new gun. I guess I'm still in shock at the prices.

It makes me wonder, if the Govt decided to rescind the agreement with S&W, would the prices for new weapons drop? I would venture to say not.

I might just have to go the Taurus route and see if one of their Titanium models fits my bill. I just need to find one with a concealed hammer.

Good Shooting
RED

There was a dealer in my area that was selling 442's for 369.99 and 642's for 399.99. Don't know if they are still at these prices though.

Back