Corrosive vs. non-corrosive ammo

Status
Not open for further replies.
First, let me thank all of the TFL members for increasing my knowledge of firearms. I now ask "What is the diference between corrosive and non-corrosive ammunition?". I have seen FIOCCHI labelled as non-corrosive and in the same page seen Sellier&Bellot not even mentioning it.

You really have to look hard to find corrosive primers these days, but some still exist- especially in imported surplus ammo. All ammo made in the US since the mid 1950s has non corrosive primers.

The difference is whether or not a chlorate (or chloride) compound is used in the mix. The reaction of these products forms a salt- such as table salt- that will hold water. These salts coat the bore and unless they are removed will cause it to rust under most circumstances. Obviously there has to be some humidity or other water source.

The bad news is that there is no way to tell by looking whether a primer is corrosive or not. US military ammo- with the exception of .30 Carbine- made before 1955 is corrosive (actually some were non corrosive before that, but that's a generally accepted date for when everything in NC. One small exception is some match .30-06 ammo loaded in the 60s, but that is clearly marked.

The labels don't talk about it much anymore because corrosive primers have been replaced for so long. If you shoot imported surplus ammo it is probably wise to assume that it is corrosive unless the seller can assure you it isn't. It's better to spend a little extra time cleaning than to have a bore rust.

Potassium Chlorate was the corrosive element in the old primers. In handguns, especially semi-automatics, I wouldn't worry about it though.

To clean, remove the barrel and pour hot water through. That will dissolve the salts. Scrub with hot soapy water, dry and oil.

I'd hate to say it, but I do the same with my SKS (unfortunately this entails quite a bit of disassembly) after shooting that Chi-com ammunition (even though it's touted to be non-corrosive, I don't trust it).

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

There is one big advantage to using corrosive ammo, assuming good storage, it almost never goes bad. I have fired pre WW2 corrosive primed ammo and even one lot of 30-06 from 1919(77 years old at that time!) with no ill results. I don't think a little extra cleaning is too much to pay for this type of long term stability. Hope this helps.

[This message has been edited by artech (edited November 25, 1999).]

Thanks for the replies. It seems I won't have any problems regardless of ammo type as long as I clean my gun after each use. Would anyone like to offer their opinion on the best inexpensive but accurate FMJ 9mm round for target practice?

The reloaded ammo sold by Georgia Arms is good and inexpensive. If you buy through a shop, Federal in the yellow box is pretty cheap. Expect to pay around 10 bucks a box. Cheaper if on sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back