corrosive or not corrosive

goat

I purchased some military .308 ball ammo from my local dealer.The price was decent but it did not say whether it was corrosive or not corrosive.It looks to be brass cased and the headstamp is marked t z.It was packaged in 20 round boxes(cardboard)in an ammo can marked .308 ball ammo 500 cartridges.I do not want to shoot corrosive ammo through an expensive AR10.How can I tell what it is.

If I shoot some dubious ammo, I bring along a cleaning rod, patches and denatured alcohol (buy it at your local paintstore). I wet the patches and push them through the bore. This is repeated until the patch comes out clean. The denatured alcohol removes most the salts and because it's alcohol, evaporates rapidly and doesn't promote rust like water does. Works great on my blackpowder rifles.

Mind you, for a fine target gun or expensive gun, I won't use corrosive amo.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

There is a fear of corrosive primers which are not justified! If you treat your rifle like it had shot corrosive primers absolutely no harm will come to your rifle. There are direct advantages to corrosive that is why it took so long to get it out of the system.. When there were only corrosive primers less guns were ruined from neglect than when non corrosive was introduced. A soapy patch followed by clean water on a patch is little to pay for cheap ammo. If you look at all the beautiful Springfield and mouser bores on rifles that have had nothing but corrosive through it for 50 years should calm any fear you might have using it. Just treat it like it was corrosive!

Goat. Years ago, we used to test unknown ammo for corrosiveness by a very simple method. If you can find an old steel razor blade, stainless won't work, pull a bullet. dump the powder, and fire the primed casing in your rifle with the muzzle pointed at the razor blade. You have to be reasl close to the blade so the gases will hit it. If you can't find a razor blade of the proper type, go to a metals place and see if you can get a scrap of clean iron or steel. Polish it up a bit, or sandpaper any crud that might be on it. Use that in place of the razor blade. Clean your gun with the proper method used for corrosive priming, and oil the bore afterward. WD-40 works well for this.
Place the metal you fired the primer at aside. If you are in a high humidity area, rust should form overnight. In drier climates, it might take a few days. If rust forms, the primers are corrosive. You might want to fire several primers at the steel to insure you contaminate it properly.
Hope this helps.
Paul B.

THANK YOU for the replies.The headstamp on this ammunition is marked TZ.I was told that it was I.M.I and it was non corrosive.Can anyone validate this for me?

Back