Corrosive Ammo Cleanup

rr2241tx

I'm new to the game, just bought my first milsurp 8x57 ammo. I know it is going to be corrosive but have no idea how to clean and protect my rifle. What works?

Generally, hot water (at least that's what the military used when it was available); today, probably a better alternative is something like Windex, which combines water with ammonia. If you can, swap out the bore and chamber with some wet patches, then plug the chamber (with a cork, rubber plug, or tight patch), and fill the bore and let it soak for a while.

I use ammonia on a swab with a couple of rinses, and follow with an oiled patch on my Mosin Nagants; seems to work well.

Don't forget to clean the bolt-face too.

All the best,
Rob

Actually what you want to use is just plain HOT water because that dissolves the salts that attract and hold moisture which is what causes the rust. Windex is great but its the water in it that is used to clean up the salt. Now, there may be some miniscule amount of acid in there created by the moisture/salt combo but its not battery acid. It will just as easily wash out. And it won't make a mess. The hot metal will dry real quick so you don't worry about it staying wet anyways and in a flash, you then add the gun oil afterwards to preserve and make pretty. ;) No need for any red, or blue, or green snake oil to keep it from becoming a pile of rust. That happens if you are not thorough.

Back