Corrosive ammo & 8mm

kjm

I have been pondering the purchase of some of that corrosive 8mm mauser ammo in shotgun news. Forgive me if this has been answered a million times, but what is the proceedure difference in using corrosive ammo?
Has anybody ever bought one of those K98 Mausers from shotgun news, and if so, what was your experience and which ones are the best.
The reasons I ask this are: 1 I'd like a cheap, high-powered rifle for my son to shoot a lot, and I'd like to own a piece of history. Any info on these guns is appreciated!

Only "problem" with using corrosive primed ammunition, otherwise in good condition is the salt left in the barrel after firing.

This can be removed either with the old GI bore cleaner, if you can find it these days of with HOT SOAPY WATER, good for cleaning people too. Also, plain water will do too.

Dip the muzzle into a bucket of the above mentioned,, and use a patched cleaning rod as a "sucker pump", or try the following, if you have a handy source of hot water, say a laundry sink. Take a fired case, and drill out the primer pocket. Tap the hole for whatever National Pipe Thread that you can find a hose adapter in. Screw the adapter into the hole, inert the assy into the chamber, attach hose, turn on hot water, and let it run for a couple of minutes. You might also try soldering the hose cxonnector into the case head, if threading won't work.

Don't forget to clean with which ever nitro solvent/copper remover yu prefer after water cleaning, and the dry/lightly oil the bore. Water too can cause rusting.

Simply put, corrosive primers leave a residue of potassium chloride, similar to and more chemically active than sodium chloride, which is table salt.

If the residue is not cleaned out of the bore, it will absorb moisture and rust the barrel. All the cleaners, water, etc., have one object - to dissolve and flush away that potassium chloride.

Jim

I have been shooting and loving a Steyr Mod. 95 in 8mm Austrian since 1993. I might have put 700-1,000 round of surplus, corrosive-primed ammo through it and the barrel is still shining.

The only difference bw modern and "corrosive" primers is that the latter contain hygroscopic chemicals, that, if left in the barrel, will cause moisture and rust. In other words, the chloride in the primers does not "corrode", but it attracts moisture.

What I use? Shooter's Choice cleaning solvent, plus a light coat of RemOil. Our cleaning solvents have gone miles since the turn of the century, when soapy water was the thing. I personally don't like pouring water in my guns, but that is personal preference - nothing against you ol'timers!

------------------
If you are younger than 20 and not a Liberal, you have no heart.

If you are older than 20 and STILL a Liberal, you have no brain.

Back