Correct Box for 6" Model 19?

Randy63

Hello All,
I have a Model 19-4 Smith with a 6" barrel that I need a box for. I found one for sale, it is 14.5" long. Is the box I found for a 6" or 8 3/8" barreled gun.
Thanks,
Randy

Wow.

Now there is a question I thought I would never see...

I don't know if this is the case or not, but I THINK that only the 8 3/8" revolvers had a special box, that the shorter barrel lengths were all shipped in a standard sized box.

I'll try to dig up some more information on this when I get home.

I think you can safely assume that the 14.5" box is for a 6" (or smaller) 19. The 8 3/8" revolver itself is around 14" in length, so that would leave only 1/2" to play with for both sides, and they usually have a lot more than that.

I just dug out the original blue box my own Model 19-4, 6" barrel came in and measured it. It's 12-7/8",X 4-3/4," X 1-3/4"

I rmember buying a Smith when they went to the box with the ends that fold in, instead of the old riveted box. That sucker was l-o-n-g.

In the 60s and 70s I sold Smiths. I remember different boxes for otherwise identical guns. Don't remember details but did notice that sometimes piles of like gun boxes sometimes did not stack evenly. Boxes probably from different lots and maby even different sources..

Sam

The one sure way to tell is the label: the gun is described and serial no. is listed.

I know it is a big fashion statement to have the box, but a lot of times the serial no. does not match the gun. What is the sense in that? And no, once somebody has owned it, it ain't NIB.

Can not answer your question, but Brownell's does stock the storage case you need. Maybe a phone call to them will be the charm.

Brownells has the storage case you need in their catalog #53 page 436. Smith&Wesson storage case, Brownell's stock #940-000-555. Factory #226220000. Description: Storage case medium, molded up to 6 inch barrel, all calibers. Price is $10.69
They also have the large that fits up to a 8 3/8" barrel.
Sling Shot

Back