Corn from my feeder???

dgc940

I see a lot of corn on the ground and something eats the white center out. leaving the kernals looking like little horse shoes. is rats and mice doing this? squirrels? someone answer this is hurting my head.

I spilled a lot of corn while testing feeder behind office earlier this year. Squirrels did the same. And crows ate the left-overs.

Today my friend was telling me that at this one lease he hunts deer on, the guy who owns the land has a sign by one of his feeders that says "Corn is for Deer & Turkeys only - all other critters found eating it will be shot" or some such. So far the squirrels and rabbits don't appear to know English. Not to mention the irony that the deer & turkey found eating it will also be shot at some point. :)

I have a sign on my feeder that is a picture of a turkey with a line through it and a circle around it. I hate them. Had 60 at my feeder at one time. There where a few hungry deer about 50 yards away waitng there turn. "am i next?" you could se them saying. One of them never got his chance though. I hate turkeys. It was everythig i could do not to stick my 30 carbine out the window with a couple of 30 round mags and blast them away. Game warden may have had a problem with 30 or 40 dead turkeys in my truck.

Just blast one here and there - dem breasts is downright yummy, and it will check their numbers. 1 or 3 can stay under the seat til you get past the game warden. And if you wait til season as you should, they'll be corn-fed and fattened up, and you can charge others to hunt there once you get your limit, if they are that numerous. I can't imagine not wanting turkeys to eat my corn - squirrels & birds I sure can understand, though!

Last edited:
I have friends in Florida that put PVC feeders on low tables. Low enough that the deer will eat and too high for the turkeys to see. They seem to feel that is the way to save the deer corn for the deer.

You have no problem until a black bear starts on your corn. Feeders better be Schedule 80 PVC or hung from cables. Oh yea, thay will defecate all over the place and generally drive the deer away. Game Wardens frown on thinning them without proper tags and two or three will not fit under the seat of your truck.

Good thought, I ain't strong enough and too old to start lifting weights. The problem is actually quite easily solved. Feed the deer sugar beets, or cabbage.:)

If i had my druthers, id rather shoot deer than turkey. Most of the turky here ar a bit tough and the terrain/ diet kinda sucks. Most eat prickey pear cactus, mesquite beans and bugs, I tried to cook a fedw. I found a good recipe for out local wild turkeys. Get a 12 " by 12" Piece of 3/4 inch ply wood and place the turkey on it. Put it in the oven for 3hours at 350 degrees. Pull it out of the oven , Pitch the turkey in the trash and eat the plywood. Itll go down easier.

WEll, i tried to eat the whole thing. Actually the breasts arent all that bad. BUt the Dark meat is awful.:barf: . It is really stringy. Got lot of tendons in it, I guess it is an aquired taste. As cheap as turkey is these days, Ill pass on the wild ones. I like the skin. And plucking a turkey in 20 degree weather is not my idea of fun.

Yeap.....The last two seasons I hunted near my feeder I watched numerous squirrels devour the corn under my feeder. They would only eat the center part of the corn.

FF,

I am not sure of per pound cost. Michigan has developed a deer feed agriculture. There are many beet farms in the area around Saginaw. They lie between my place and my grandkids. I normally figure out a long weekend to the kids and bring back a scoop. I am not sure how many yards it is, but I would say it is at the 1000 pound mark. Last year it was 30 bucks. Judging from the way my half ton pickup handles. Cabbages are grown locally in fenced in farms. They are lighter. Normally you can find cabbages for around 30 bucks a pick up load. No squirrels, crows, bears or coons. Beets are better after they freeze.

That sounds real good, youp - $30 for a whole pickup bed load ain't too shabby, but as you say, the price may vary widely since that is not a popular thing here; thanks for the idea though - gonna look into that more. I'm also gonna plant 1 or 2 apples trees.

"I loved a girl. In Saginaw, Michigan"...... gotta love ol' Lefty. :)

I see a lot of corn on the ground and something eats the white center out. leaving the kernals looking like little horse shoes.
When I first read that, all I could think of is the aliens that were resposible for cattle mutilation had switched to corn!:D

Back