Corbon 357 ammo?

Gravity

Anyone have experience with the Corbon 357 Magnum 180gr. Bonded-Core ammo?
It's listed as a hunting round and I have been considering grabbing a box or two for deer season this year.
Anyone use any of this ever?
Thx

:confused:

What state are you gonna handgun hunt in? I know alot of states has a minimum of 500fp of energy at 100 yards and the 357 pistols wont push that. Might wanna check your local regs for deer. Good luck.

Interesting......Cor-Bon shows 640 ft lbs at muzzle for the 180 hunting. State usin energy at 100 yards raises some questions. Not that hard to get 1,000 ft lb at muzzle with 125 gr.....yet I would think the 180 would be a better choice for good penetration.

Sam

Hmm... very interesting point. I would also tend to think that the heavier rounds would be bettter.

Could be that the energy lost after the lighter round travels 100yds is much more dramatic due to velocity playing a much greater role in its effectiveness.

REAL WORLD

180's lose velocity slower than lighter bullets.
180's are correct for 357 deer hunting.
180's retain more math energy at 100 yds, and ACTUALLY retain more energy (and penetration capability) at 100 yds.

This is why (for deer) I prefer and normally utilize the superb R-P 180g S-JHP for my ammo; it retains velocity better, and this specific bullet will impact at 100 yds with enough speed to give good expansion!
Penetration at this weight is a given.

My favorite is the 180g R-P at 1200-1550fps (based on launch platform).

If thats the case them maybe I'll use my Tracker to hunt with next year. I didnt know the 357 would stay above 500 fpe @ 100yds. Now see, you guys have tought me something new. Thanks!!

BUT IS THE SHOOTER CAPABLE

Just because the technology doesn't mean the human factor can cope.

100 yds is a long way LOL.

"Perfect practice makes perfect"

I guess that all depends on where Im hunting. If its the swamps of Georgia where Ive hunted the past 5 years then I would use the 357. Didnt have much of a shot above 50 yards anyway. Bowhunted most of the time. My Tracker with the 4" barrel is a very accurate shooting platform for me. If its down here in AZ then I'll stick to the rifle till I get a 454 pistol. Either way it opens up my options for future hunts. Unless I go chasing down some Javelina then that will be fun. Since most of the time you have binoculars in your hand anyway. Sounds like fun.

All though I use .44 mag. for deer,a buddy of mine last year used the 180gr Cor-Bon .357 in his King Cobra with a 6in barrel and put down a nice 10 point with it. The old buck ran for 20yrds after the 35yrd double lung shot. But don't forget, a handgun is a lot like a bow, how ever far you can make a 6 for 6 group in a 8in. plate is your MAX. range. And if you can live with that then go for it. White-tail with a handgun is a blast:cool:

Check State Regs !!!!

Here in Ohio, handgun hunting is allowed, but .357 is minimum caliber and gun must have at least 6" barrel.

I have had excellent results with good old 158 SWCHPs at 1500+ fps from my 8" Dan Wesson. I have been thinking of trying 180gr LBT bullets, but why 'fix' something that ain't broke?

I limit myself to 75 yds MAX and use iron sights. Yes, I can hit 6 for 6 shots inside 6" at this distance, no problem.

Back